hpv from boyfriend?

Hi all,

If my smear tests to date were all clear and my first smear test after being with my boyfriend for 2 and a half years was the first one that showed HPV present, would that mean I definitely got it from him?

I might be wrong. And would this mean we just pass it back and forth?

Hi

The answer to your first question is 'no', it doesn't mean you definitely got HPV from your boyfriend of 2.5 years.  HPV screening is a recent procedure and your previous smears may not have been checked for HPV, especially if the cells were normal.  Also, HPV can lie dormant in the body for many years during which time you are likely to test negative for the virus; your recent HPV positive result may be due to a reactivated HPV that you caught a while ago before your current boyfriend.

Hope this helps a bit?

x

Same thing happened to me I always get good pap results I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years and I don't know what to do... do I tell him keep it to myself ? They told me I need a colposcopy what is that by the way?? They also said this isn't a life long think I can get rid of it or it will go away on its own please help me I have really bad anxiety 

A Colposcopy is a procedure to closely examine your cervix, vagina and vulva for signs of disease. As to your boyfriend, it would be nice to be transparent to him as early as now.