HPV 18+ and AGC

Hello everyone,
Firstly I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has already posted and replied to others’ posts… Your words gave me courage when I was feeling very tense.
I’d like to tell my story of testing post-abnormal cell change results, for anyone it may help.
I live in France and I’m not sure how similar my experience will be, but hopefully not too different.
I’m 34, child-free for now, and have had regular, normal smear tests the last 10 years.
Last October my gynaecologist told me about the smear test changes, that she’d be checking for HPV primarily, and if positive my sample would be tested for cell abnormalities.
I discovered I was HPV 18/45+, but with no abnormal cells. I was told to come back in 6 months, but with lockdown etc my appointment was at the end of July, so 9 months later.
The results came back that the 45 had disappeared but that the 18 (high risk) was still positive so that triggered a colposcopy. I also had abnormal glandular cells detected which triggered a ‘curetage’, a type of uterus biopsy.
My appointment for this was two weeks after my results came back and five weeks after my smear test, so quite efficient but felt like a very long two weeks to wait. The appointment was yesterday.
I was incredibly nervous, I felt tearful, scared and worried. Not only about the possible results but also the procedure itself.
I’ll talk a little now about the procedure I had. So I had an ultrasound, a colposcopy (a cervical biopsy) a curetage (a uterus biopsy) and a cervical canal biopsy.
My legs were in stirrups as in a usual smear. The procedure lasted 45 minutes (talking included) and about 30 minutes on the bed itself.
Ladies, it’s not pleasant but you can get through it.
For me, it felt like (for a couple of moments at a time, not the whole time) like bad period pains and a pulling feeling. Not pleasant but not unbearable. If you’ve ever had bad period pains you will recognise the sensations and be able to bear them.
My gynaecologist had put relaxing music on, and I found it very helpful to hum along with the music; it controlled my breathing and gave me something to do.
During the procedure she told me that she couldn’t see anything abnormal; the ultrasound was normal and when she put in the two liquids to see normal/abnormal tissue she couldn’t see anything abnormal.
She was professional and told me that although that in itself was reassuring, we need to wait for the biopsy results, hopefully within three weeks.
After the procedure I had very light bleeding, like the last day of a period, and light cramps.
This morning I’m a little sensitive but I’m ok, just feeling proud of myself and happy I had the procedure.
Please, if you have abnormal cells and are putting off your colposcopy, just book it, the anticipation is worse than the procedure.
I hope I’ve helped you like many of you have helped me.
Good luck ladies, and wish me luck for my results, I’ll let you know, I promise!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your story @RosiePauly it really helps people I think :blush: well done you for being so brave and putting your health first. I’ve been through a similar colposcopy yesterday just waiting for results of biopsy x

1 Like

Thank you and Good luck @Soph , let me know how you get on xx

1 Like

Thank you fir sharing your story @RosiePauly. Have you received your results? What is your recommended treatment long term? Do you continue to monitor? What about after childbearing is complete. I have a similar situation and thought I’ve tested negative for seven years I am being recommended a simple hysterectomy bc I’m done having children. Thank you so much.

Hello :slight_smile:

My results came back inconclusive so I had to do another colposcopy and biopsies on 8 Oct. Get my results next week.
I don’t have any children so I’m scared of the possibility of a hysterectomy.

I did have an HGC blood test, like a pregnancy test but to see if i had any hormone-producing tumours and that came back negative last werk… Phew!

Hi @RosiePauly ! I know this is years later, but would you be able to keep us posted please on how everything went? Hoping you’re all good and healthy now x