How to approach colposcopy with male bosses!?

Hello :-)

I have my colposcopy booked for 17th March and I really do not want to take the day off as holiday but at the same time I don't know how to approach it with my male bosses and explain to them why I require the whole day off as sick!?

At my colposcopy last year, I only had biopsies but I found them really painful and was in a state so I didn't go back to work but as it was a morning appointment I just rang in sick and explained I had had biopsies but didn't say where. This time it is at lunchtime and although I could do a few hours in the morning at work I won't be able to concentrate and I want to be able to shower etc. so I think it's easier to take the whole day off. I also do not know if I will be having treatment this time or not.

Any suggestions would be great! I wish we had a female member of staff we could talk to really :-(

Thank you :-)

Jan 13 - borderline with HPV

Feb 13 - colposcopy - no treatment

Feb 14 - mild dyskaryosis with HPV

Mar 14 - colposcopy - CIN1 with HPV

Feb 15 - mild dyskaryosis with HPV

17 Mar 15 - colposcopy booked

Hi Tilsley

I think you can just keep it vague. Say it's something gynae-related and you'd prefer to spare him the gory details. Men are often more embarrassed about these things than we are!

Hope it goes well!

Kirsty x

You do not have to say to your manager why you are off sick. You can say you have a hospital appointment and that is it, or just call in sick. 

Hi There,

I work with all men, when I had my colposcopy a few weeks ago I just told my boss I had a hospital appointment, he said that was fine an no questions asked.

The next day he asked how my appointment went, I just told him it was ok and jsut awating results, I think he knew not to ask anything. As Kirsty said above men are often more embarrased to ask questions.

If they do ask just say its lady issues :) xx

Hi Sarah

thank you for your reply - did you take the whole day off or just time for your appointment?

thank you x

Hi I sent my Male Boss's the copy of the letter. When I then went ot ask if it was ok he panicked and siad eah yeah what ever you need.

Trust my they are more uncomfortable than you :)

Much Luck x

I took the whole day off. I was meant to work from home in the afternoon but didn't in the end, I has biopsys taken and had some cramping so just relaxed on the sofa 

Hi Tilsley! I work with all men, including my boss. I took the day as a holiday, as it was at an awkward time of day (2pm apt and it takes about 1 hour to get to the hospital). I had to have the LLETZ done, which i was not expecting. I did not feel great afterwards and I thought it would be worse the next day (turned out it wasnt) so I text my boss saying the reason I took the holiday was actually for a hospital appointmet and had a 'procedure' done (womens stuff). I am in pain afterwards and therefore wont be in tommorrow but will be back the next day. He said it was no problem and if I needed anything, just ask. No questions asked, nor did he mention anything on my return. It all depends on if you have a history of calling in sick (I dont, unless I am litreally dying....excuse the term I use) so he knows I would not call in sick unless entirely necessary.

Thay might be male but they are still grown up, so they are likely aware that women have gynaecological complexities, and yes, most of them are quite squeamish about such issues, particularly with staff as opposed to their own wives or girlfriends, whom they probably feel they can speak to more freely about such matters. You certainly shouldn't have to take it as a day's holiday. Tell them it's a hospital appointment and that you'll be back at work as soon as you feel able.

Work really isn't the be-all and end-all and the world will not come to an end if Tilsley is off sick for a day or two.

Be lucky :-)

Tivoli

Thank you everyone for your advice - all ok and have the day off :-) worrying for nothing! X

Happy St Patrick's Day!

:-)

Tivoli

Hi

I work with mainly men including my two managers. Like someone else say we're all grown up where I work everyone gets on really well. Ill be honest you might be better just telling them incase you have any further issues.

I cried on my manager as i had my bad news smear results whilst at work. Ive had my colposcopy/ biopsy and colposcopy/lletz awaiting results from 2weeks ago. Ive come home from work today as bleeding started quite bad and i just explained all that and they were fine with me coming home. It makes it easier in long run were only human!

Good luck whatever you choose :)