How long before you went into menopause?

Hi

Firstly apologies as I’m sure this has been posted a million times before but when did you all start experiencing symptoms of menopause after treatment?

Bit of my story, I was diagnosed 1b2 in December and had a hysterectomy in Feb but kept my ovaries due to young age (I’m only 30) I then went onto preventative radiotherapy and brachytherapy. My nurse wasn’t exactly clear about when or if I’d start menopause.

I’m just over 3 weeks out of treatment now and I’m not sure but I feel like maybe I’m starting to get some symptoms. I’ve had a few hot flushes, find it difficult to sleep some nights and have had quite a lot of itchiness down there, it’s hard to tell if these are treatment or menopause related. 

I’m going to book a GP appointment, but is there anyway they can tell? From a blood test maybe?

Sorry for all the questions I don’t really have any older women I can ask who have had natural menopause, my mum had early menopause due to breast cancer treatment. She had to just deal with it though as she couldn’t take HRT due to the type of cancer. Both my nans died a long time ago as well. 

And advice or anything would be appreciated:)

Alice xx

Hi Alice, 

im 7 weeks out of treatment and like you been suffering with what I think are menopause symptoms. Mine started a few weeks ago the odd hot flash but the night sweats and no sleeping have been most nights, it’s hard to tell if it’s menopause or it’s just warm on a night.

i went to my GP but she wouldn’t do anything till she had the go ahead from my oncologist. Had my 6 week post treatment check up with the oncologist and she said they won’t test me for it but just go off my symptoms, she is sending a letter to my gp to sort me out.

i do believe there is a blood test they can do tho to see if you are.

Marie x

Hi Marie. 

Thanks. I’m going to see my gp for some holiday vaccinations so I’ll ask then. 

Alice xx

Hi Alice 

Yes, doctors can determine the menopause by blood tests. I actually went through an early menopause unrelated to CC. My first side effect was definitely the hot flushes followed by night sweats. I didn't want hrt at the time, just a personal decision so went cold turkey, lol. Other symptoms included very itchy skin, but was prone to that plus feeling a bit down. Also noticed skin downstairs seemed to thin a bit. 

There are all sorts of side effects and each of us are different, just thought I'd tell you from someone who has been there. I do know that a lot of ladies can feel very miserable so you just need to see how it pans out for you.

I started odd bleeding after not having a period for 12 months so that's why I consulted my GP and was eventually diagnosed with 1b1 cervical adenocarcinoma. All over a year ago now.

Wishing you all the very best

Helen xxx

I saw my gp today and although there is a blood test they only go off your symptoms. if your ovaries are damaged from treatment the test will come back positive no mater what so it could be a false positive xx

Ah thanks ladies!

I went back to work last week and every so often I keep getting what I’m thinking is a hot flush. It’s horrible. 

Its so hard to tell what’s related to treatment as well. Like now and again I do get a bit sad but then I’ve put that down to going through everything recently. 

You'll just how to see how you go Alice. Yes, going through all this makes us down to start with. The hot flushes aren't the best, I know. When I first started getting them the nearest I can describe it is a bit like as a teenager when you can feel yourself blushing, then you get gradually hotter. Xxx