Hospital Stay after Hysterectomy

Hi All,

I was wondering how long you were in hospital after your simple hysterectomy (keyhole)? I’m having mine tomorrow and I’ve heard anywhere from out the same day to being in 10 days.

Thank you.

Hi

I had a keyhole radical hysterectomy. Was only in hospital for 1 night.

x

Thank you, Jazza. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for one night also then. Did you have your lymphnodes removed too?

Hi GGR814

My lymph nodes were removed by keyhole surgery several days before my hysterectomy. If my nodes had been found to contain cancer cells then I would have gone directly to chemo-radio treatment. Unfortunately my post hysterectomy lab results indicated my cancer was bigger than initially thought so I ended up having chemo-radio as well!

Hope all goes as well as possible for you.

x

Hi there
I have just had my hysterectomy but was surprised to read you needed treatment after the hysterectomy - can I ask why this was? I thought the hysterectomy would be the end of everything? Xx

Hi Kimmy

From the outset the oncology team told me thay always planned to get a cure with either surgery OR chemo-radiotherapy.

Based on my histology results, MRI and PET scans and EUA my cancer was initially staged as 1B1 (Ib2 new FIGO) and the surgeon said there was a 90% chance that he could get all the cancer out with a hysterectomy. Prior to the op I was informed that there was a possibility that I might need further treatment but I was strongly recommended to have the op so I agreed.

Unfortunately when I went for my post-op consultation I was told that the lab results on whatever was analysed after the surgery indicated my cancer was stage 2A and involved peri-neural invasion (PNI) and lymphovascular space invasion (LVSI). I gather there was a heated debate at the MDT about whether I needed further treatment but ultimateIy it was decided that my risk for recurrence was enough to justify further treatment with chemo-radiotherapy.

I’m not the only one that has had this experience but we’re in the minority.

It sound like your cancer was detected fairly early so hopefully your hysterectomy has sorted it. It didn’t help matters that I was diagnosed on the basis of symptoms - I hadn’t had a smear test for a about 12 years when I was diagnosed!

x