Historic abnormal cells Cin2/3 now ?Polyp?

I’m 40 now, but when I was around 28 I had my first abnormal smear after I had my son a couple of years prior to that. I had cin1/2 I think, removed via Loop excision. Smears went back to normal.

Had abnormal bleeding after sex aged 32, booked for private smear as NHS wouldn’t do it, and abnormal cells found. Colposcopy showed cin 2/3, but the lady put vinegar on the cells because she wasn’t sure, and a more senior consultant was called who said I needed treatment, but I wasn’t too confident about all this, as if he hadn’t come over I don’t think I would’ve been offered the treatment then at all!

Had test of cure all fine, three years later had a negative HPV test with smear so no cells checked. Now, the worry for me has been that when I had my abnormal cells aged 32 I had a negative HPV test then, so I wasn’t confident or reassured three years ago when the HPV test came back negative as my cells hadn’t been checked!

The second loop procedure I had was aged 32, the consultant was pushed for time and I wasn’t numb when he started, I had a panic attack and my (now ex) partner was holding me down. Extremely traumatic and consultant even said ‘if you ever need this again ask for a GA!’ I was so gutted and embarressed and always just prayed my
Smears would go back to normal so I’d never need this again.

So it’s been six-seven since anyone looked at my cervix with colposcopy or checked my actual cells… I went along today for a smear and for the first time I wasn’t terribly nervous as I just thought ‘it’ll be a negative HPV result again’ as I’ve not been sexually active for five years as well. During masturbation I’ve had tiny streaks of blood recently. Also I came off the Pill about 8 months ago as it was causing irregular bleeding and since then my cycles been pretty regular and not heavy or painful.
I’ve always got mild lower back pain as I assumed was normal for getting older.

The nurse today saw what she thought was a cyst on my cervix, called a senior colleague who straight away said ‘it’s a polyp, very common, please don’t worry.’ She said cervix looks totally healthy and this is a bright red growth about 3mm long, protuding from cervix.

The thought that it’s not a polyp or maybe is but is malignant is making me terrified. Also, I am traumatised by that last Loop exision but also have big phobia of being put under GA (I can’t win!) so I’m being fast tracked to gynaecology. I’m a single parent and my son has complex needs so I’ve spent most of the afternoon crying and fearing the worst. What if it’s cancer and has been developing all this time? Altho three years ago the smear test no one mentioned anything?? Or perhaps she said about my scar from the loop exision… now that I try and cast my mind back three years perhaps she said something??

I guess I’m hoping for some reassurance? Or worst case scenarios what to expect from here if it is a cancerous growth? I have severe health anxiety being a single mum and living hundreds of miles from my family doesn’t help!

1 Like

Hi Emma
Sorry to hear you’re struggling. I saw a post from you on another thread
As scary as it sounds it is a good thing you’re being fast tracked as you will get answers quicker
My understanding is that fast track doesn’t mean cancer but NHS have set targets for women with symptoms to be seen quickly

1 Like

Thank you for Youre reply! It’s been two weeks tomorrow since they saw the polyp. Smear results have come back clear for HPV and so they haven’t looked at cells :thinking: I’ll ring the GP tomorrow if the letter from the hospital doesn’t turn up. I thought I would be seen within two weeks …

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply! Any news yet? It’s good that you don’t have HPV but I can understand why you are still nervous x

1 Like

Yeah I’m trying to be reassured that the smear came back clear and negative HPV. I’ve been told I’ve got to wait a year on the NHS to have the polyp looked at!! So I’m going privately to a gynae and have a consultation with them. It’s made me paranoid and it feels like my back hurts all the time now and like bits of my vagina are falling out all the time. I had problems 14 years ago after I had my son and my episiotomy scar opened up so my vulva has never felt ‘right’ since then but now it’s all I can think about. I’m sure that’s psychological thiugh because I’m sure I can’t ‘feel’ the polyp. I felt nothing before the smear, altho I did have moderately severe ovulation pain every month which I did mention to the GP. This has all destroyed my confidence and I’m depressed about it all the time. I’ve asked for some help with my health anxiety because I can’t go on like this.

1 Like

That was an ‘urgent’ referral as well- 56 weeks to even be seen!!

Im glad you’re seeking help for your anxiety as you do sound very worried
It’s good you can book private and get seen to quicker as well x

1 Like

Had a fairly decent sized polyp removed today with private gynae- some cramping now and feeling tired, hopefully will have a good result from the histology. Glad I didn’t wait a year and have this hanging over me

1 Like

That’s great! Fingers crossed it comes back all okay x

1 Like