High Risk HPV & Cell changes

Hi,

I received the dreaded letter yesterday that my smear test came back abnormal.

I have high risk HPV and cell changes. My letter states that I will be sent for within 8 weeks for a colposcopy. I’m absolutely petrified. I have had pain during sex for years now. I never went to the doctor because it wasn’t severe. I have no bleeding after sex but can sometimes get spotting between periods or cramping in between cycles. Since coming off the pill my periods are also very light and don’t last very long.

I had my first smear at 21 and went back 3 weeks ago at 28. I can’t believe I was so stupid to leave it. My mum passed away when I was 25 and can’t remember getting the letter. I think I just brushed it off.

After speaking with family my mum had to get precancerous cells removed when she was 26 but she also died of bowel cancel aged 52. I’m just so terrified that I’m going to get diagnosed with cervical cancer.

Can anyone offer advice? Can cervical cancer be detected through a smear? Im guessing because the doctor doesn’t want me back for 8 weeks I’ll be ok? I’m a teacher and I can’t face having to teach people with this on my mind it’s terrifying,

Thank you in advance xx

Hi Jodie

I don’t know if my words will help at all but I do really hope you’re okay and I’m so sorry to hear about your mum.

I’ve found this forum so helpful and I hope you do too lovely.

The colposcopy will be done to have a closer look at your cervix and see what’s going on there. I recently got the same letter hun and went for my colposcopy on Tuesday. I did have high grade severe pre cancerous cells and they performed the LEEP procedure to remove them for me there and then. The procedure is quick and pretty painless so don’t worry at all. The nurse there told me that the chances of developing cervical cancer are very rare and to try not to lose sleep over it.

I guess all we can do is stay positive and support each other :blush:

I hope everything goes well for you, try not to worry :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like