High Risk HPV-Cell Changes-Symptoms and Health Anixety

I’m hoping someone has had a similar experience and can put my mind at ease, I had my first abnormal smear in 2021 at age 24, it showed High Risk HPV and Low Grade Dyskariosis.
I got sent for a Colposcopy and at the appointment was told I wouldn’t need a biopsy or treatment and to come back in 12 months for a repeat smear.
Fast forward to now, 11 months later and I experienced bleeding twice during sex last month, but it hasn’t happened again since, I also had an abnormally heavy period last month and the sex was a week before and after this period.
I phoned my doctor, who advised they wouldn’t bring my smear forward from December and that if I needed advice, I would need to go to the local Sexual Health Clinic, but I haven’t been able to get an appointment there and have been trying for 3 weeks.
Because it hasn’t happened again since, I am hoping it was just a one off and was maybe to do with my period, hopefully someone has had a similar experience and it was nothing sinister.
Side note, I also have PCOS.
Thank you in advance for anyone who can hopefully help me to stop panicking.

1 Like

Try not to worry as hard as it may seem, I struggle really bad with health anxiety so I completely understand where you’re coming from. Can you possibly ask the sexual health clinic if they can call for any cancellations and also contact your GP again and tell them that you can’t get in there and you’d really like to be seen quicker. Hopefully they can make it happen for you to ease your worries.

I’m awaiting my colposcopy after my first smear and my appointment isn’t until the end of November (I was told 2nd Nov about the appointment) so I understand how hard it is to do anything and be normal whilst waiting. I have also had irregular bleeding but could possibly be from my implant. Not sure you’re if you are on BC but it can have an affect on your period and irregular bleeding. Message me any time if you want to talk.

K x

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply and advice, I really appreciate it. I hope your colposcopy goes well, also feel free to message me if you want to talk about your results or colposcopy. I know how much of a worrying time it is x

If I were you i would ask your doctor ro refer to colposcopy clinic rather than a smear test, the smear can only pick up the hpv if still active and then you would be sent to colposcopy. Because you have had the bleeding i would ask to go straight there. I had some abnormal bleeding last year and the GP saw a red area on my cervix, and referred me for a colposcopy where they said it was fine, i just had cervical ectroption. It wasnt bleeding - i had just had a very early period. Etroption can bleed after sex but it is harmless so it might be that. It very unlikely that low grade dyskariosis would have led to anything serious in 11 months so try not to panic. I also had high grade dyskaryosis 7 years ago which was removed and no problems since xx