High grade severe dyskaryosis

Hello.  I am 24 years old and just had my first smear about two weeks ago.  I recieved a letter through the post about 7 days ago to say they found high grade severe dyskaryosis in my smear test.  This was my first ever smear and I am absolutely terrified.  I haven’t stopped crying since reading this letter.  This morning I received another letter for my colposcopy appointment this Friday and apparently they are going to remove the cells on this day too. 

I just feel so ashamed, confused and fearful in case I have HPV and why this has happened.  When I was younger at school, I remember having the HPV jab? I don’t have a lot of information and this website has been brilliant in being able to read about other stories and to know I’m not alone in feeling this way.  

Please can someone share some knowledge on this?  Thank you! I’m trying to remain calm and focused before friday.  

Hollzzp 24

Hi I can totally relate to this, I have the same high grade severe. I found out Thursday and my colposcopy is Tuesday, which like you I am terrified about. 

Sorry I can't offer any advice on the HPV or the fact you've had the vaccine, hopefully someone else will be able to answer that for you

Good luck for Friday xx 

Thank you very much!! Hopefully everything will be okay.  Good luck for Tuesday xxxx

Hi

I remember being beside myself when I had high grade dyskaryosis some years ago. They didnt give HPV vaccine when I was at school from what I gather the first people to have it it wasn’t that successful but don’t quote me. From what I have read and understand HPV can come and go throughout a persons life and alot of people can have it and not even know. Although HPV can cause the abnormal cells its not always a given. After my treatment I was tested for HPV and was negative so doesn’t mean it has caused the abnormal cells. 

If I was you I would share what you are going through with someone and take them with you as support. My partner came in with me. I had a biopsy done first as the person who did the colposcopy/Lletz procedure wanted to check the results first. I then went back for the LLetz. It really isn’t as bad as you build it up to be in your head. 

Try not to worry you are in good hands :)

I am currently awaiting resulta for my first 3yearly smear since, had it 12wks ago and still no results- not a happy bunny the GP will be getting a call

tomorrow!

Hi Hollzzp,

I went through the exact same thing after my first ever smear. I also had the HPV vaccine so was surprised when I received the letter, but HPV is nothing to be ashamed about, nearly everyone will get it at some point in their lifetime, it's really common. 

I had my colposcopy and Lletz treatment in Jan/Feb this year, the procedures themselves are really not that bad, the nurses I had were lovely and made me feel at ease. Be kind to yourself whilst you recover, take it easy and listen to your body. I had to take 6 weeks off any excercise (although 3 weeks in I went back to yoga which was okay) and my emotions were a bit all over the place. Keep positive and if you can take someone with you to the appointment it does help. 

Good luck, let us know how you get on and don't let this get you down!

Meg xx

13th Dec 2017 - 1st smear age 25

2nd Jan 2018 - results back: mild cell changes and positive HPV

19th Jan 2018 - colposcopy and 5 punch biopsies 

5th Feb 2018 - results back: CIN3, LLETZ treatment required

19th Feb 2018 - LLETZ treatment

8th March 2018 - results: no evidence of CC, back in 6months to check all gone

8th August 2018 - follow up smear taken in Cyprus...awaiting results

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my post.  

Today is the day of the colposcopy ... anxiously waiting till the afternoon!

That is so good you came back as being negative and I suppose no news is good news right, in regards to not hearing back from your GP.

Let me know how it goes!

Your quote is incredible; thank you so much!xxxx

Thank you for responding to my post.  

I am honestly so suprised about HPV!  I never remember in school being educated about HPV and the risks it can cause.  I really did feel so ashamed and embarrassed because of its connection to STI's but the support on here has really made me realise how many people have it.  It's mad.

Yeah I agree, i will need to listen to my body.  I usually go to cycle classes and so I don't think I'll be doing that for a while.

What is a punch biopsy?

Let me know about your results...

Today is the day of my colposcopy... ahhh!

xx