hi newbie what does CIN 1..2 ..3 mean nervous for colposcopy results

hi everyoneKiss

i hope this is ok to ask sorry if i type this out wrong, but i had my very first smear test done at 25 and results came back borderline ambnormalites and high risk HPV, but im having my colposcopy on the 10th feb next week and was wondering do they tell you anythink when your ther of any results or do you have to wait for a letter ? and i read peoples forums say results like CIN1 CIN2 CIN3 im not sure what they mean would anyone be of help to explain to me what they mean as i am worried about goin to my appointment and just really what an idea of what certain things mean, im sorry if i affend anyone or anything as i tend to find it hard to understand things and i have a memory problem which means i forget stuff quite quickly and need things explaing to me quite clearly etc sorry everyone thanks very much for anyhelp and advise good luck to everyone :) x

Hi Lottie,

Please dont appologise we are all here to help.

Did you get this leaflet in with your letter http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/cervical/publications/thecolposcopyexamination.pdf (copy ans paste this into a new internet window :))it explains about the different CIN stages. You are the same as me and have borderline changes, as far as I understand and what my gp has told me, your not called for a colposcopy for the borderline changes but for the HPV. Usually everything will o back to normal on their on.

My colposcopy is on the 9th. xx

hiya :)

i had borderline abnormalities too and hpv positive unfortunatley my biopsy results came back as cin2 so I need to go back in 2 weeks for lletz treatment. at the colposcopy they can give you a rough idea of what they think it is...but can't say for sure that's why a biopsy is usually taken to give a definite diagnosis. You may go and everything will be Fine and won't need a biopsy I think with borderline smears there is only a 15/20% chance you will have something that needs treating usually it clears up on its own. CIN 1 2 and 3 are all PRE cancer stages...cin 1 is usually left alone to see if it goes away where as 2 and 3 need treating so they don't become worse. Good luck xx

hiya :)

i had borderline abnormalities too and hpv positive unfortunatley my biopsy results came back as cin2 so I need to go back in 2 weeks for lletz treatment. at the colposcopy they can give you a rough idea of what they think it is...but can't say for sure that's why a biopsy is usually taken to give a definite diagnosis. You may go and everything will be Fine and won't need a biopsy I think with borderline smears there is only a 15/20% chance you will have something that needs treating usually it clears up on its own. CIN 1 2 and 3 are all PRE cancer stages...cin 1 is usually left alone to see if it goes away where as 2 and 3 need treating so they don't become worse. Good luck xx

hi thanks very much everyone i feel bit more better now hopfully everythink is going to be ok i now have a more understanding than what i did thank you good luck to you guys to xx

Hey!

my first smear test came back as borderline with HPV. I went to the colposcopy where they said the cells were almost normal. I had biopsies to be sure and that confirmed I had no abnormalities. 

The colposcopy in my opinion was easier than the smear as they are doing it day in and day out. 

Good luck :-) let us know how you get on x

Jan 13 - borderline with HPV

Feb 13 - colposcopy - no treatment

Feb 14 - mild dyskaryosis with HPV

Mar 14 - colposcopy - CIN1 with HPV

Feb 15 - smear test - awaiting results