Help! Trachelectomy- fertility issues?

Hi ladies

I’m going out of my mind and wondered if anybody had any advice.
I was informed last Thursday that as my Adenocarcinoma is a stage 1b1 they want to do a trachelectomy and also remove my lymphnodes. But the fertility side of things is worrying me. I’m 28 and have only been married 2 months. My husband has been absolutely amazing, so supportive and understanding, even about the possibility of having fertility issues.
But I’m so worried I won’t be able to have children. It’s causing me so much worry and stress already. My husband has said about getting a second opinion about whether the radical treatment is necessary, however after reading lots of stories on here of ladies in very similar situations I feel this is unlikely to give us a different opinion.
I just wanted to hear any stories or advice about the fertility side. Any questions I should be asking my Doctors etc. Anything anyone could tell me would be really appreciated.

Thank you
Kayleigh

Hi Kayleigh

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, you are in the right place and there are lots of us here who have been through it too. 

i had a radical trachelectomy in 2012 and I was 33. I too was worried about fertility. 

I had a healthy baby girl via IVF (first attempt) in March this year...i posted my story a few weeks ago if you wanted more details.  There are plenty of women like us, who have gone to have successful pregnancies after a trach, many get pregnant naturally too.  It can and does happen after this type of surgery. 

I hope this helps ease your mind a little.

Wishing you all the best Xxx 

Me again! In terms of things to ask the surgeon... I would recommend asking them to put in a 'trans abdominal cerclage' at the same time as the trachelectomy... This is the large stitch they put in at the bottom of the uterus to help hold a potential pregnancy.  It needs to be done under general anaesthetic so it's far easier to get it done at the same time rather than have another procedure at a later date. xxx 

Hi Kayleigh

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Please try not to worry about fertility as the radical trachelectomy gives you a grest chance of removing the cancer and preserving your fertility. I had a trachelectomy in 2013 aged 31 and had an abdominal cerclarge put in at the same time. Your surgeon should automatically do this, and porkins is right, definitely ask about it.

I conceived naturally in 2015 and had a c section in Feb this year at 38 weeks and had a perfectly healthy baby girl.

Anything is possible. Just stay positive. 

Wishing you all the best and please get in touch if you have any questions at all - feel free to ask

xx

Hi Ladies, I am jumping on this thread as I've just found out that I need trach/LN removal. I would love to have another child (Charlie is nearly 2) so hearing positive outcomes is really helping me! Hoping for surgery in the next couple of weeks xx