Help- No periods after trachelectomy

Hello,

I had a trachelectomy and lymph-node removal in July 2021. The surgery was successful and my results have come back all clear so far- thank god.
However, I am yet to have a period since the surgery. I have been put on the pill to try to stimulate a period but so far- nothing. My tummy is very uncomfortable and swollen however, but doctors don’t seem that concerned about it. I however am very worried as my partner and I really want to start a family and we just don’t know what to do.
Has this happened to anyone else?
I’m not sure what answers I am looking for, maybe just to know that it is not just me.

Thanks In advance,
Jo

Hi Jo,

So pleased your surgery has been successful, but sorry to hear about the dysmenorrhea, which must be very confusing. I had not heard of this happening, but I’ve looked for a medical journal article and found one that says this is a possible outcome, but it’s not something you should accept! Basically, as I read it, it is possible that you are suffering from cervical stenosis, in that you are retaining fluid within the womb. This will need to get sorted.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5581099/

It’s a bit of a technical read, but the important thing is that it acknowledges that this can happen (so you are not alone), and that it needs treating.

I think after 8 months it is time you asked to be referred to a gynaecologist or to get a second opinion. I presume you are a young woman as you’re planning a family, and your trachelectomy was intended to give you that chance. Now your medical team need to take this further and at the very LEAST you should be having an MRi scan to look at the area. If indeed there is a blockage and nothing can get out, nothing will get in either - if you know what I mean!

Hope you can get some answers and some help. X

Thank you so much for the reply. The article is very interesting thank you for posting it. I’m definitely going to ask for a second opinion as I have had scans and they don’t seem to think I am retaining fluid in my womb but I’m showing many symptoms of stenosis after reading about it. I am still under investigation so hopefully will have an answer soon.
Thanks again,
Jo