Hello new to this

Hello 

I hope you are all having a "good" day! today.  I had a smear and on Saturday receive a very badly worded scary letter saying I was low grade dyskaryosis and evidence of hpv.  What does this mean? Does this mean I could have (gulp) cancer? I have been told to wait for a letter calling me for a  colposcopy.  I am telling my partner and family I am cool and not worried.  I work in health on the info/helpline at a charity so I know the calm voice in me well.  To be honest I am a little scared. Tongue Out

Angel

Thank you.   Great women and great site here!

Hey Angel and welcome.  

First things first...DO NOT GOOGLE! Dyskaryosis is the name given for Pre-cancerous cells. This doesn't mean you have CC. Just means you have cells that MIGHT turn into cancer. These cells can take 10 years to progess. I was just as scared as you,  but this site is amazing.  Try not to work your self up but at the same time if you are worried don't hide it. Talk to your family.  Believe me, a brave face is hard to keep up. Think of it as a glass of water. The longer you hold it the heavier it becomes and after a long  time it is unbearable to hold.

Feel free to message me any time. 

Wishing you the best of luck.  Keep me updated :) 

Sammie xx

Hi Angel11,

Iit's pretty scary getting that letter, but in most cases it just means you have some abnormal cells, which can possibly be pre-cancerous and are very unlikely to be cancer. So try to stay positive :)

My letter said 'high grade' dyskaryosis which means all the cells in the sample taken were abnormal, whilst your 'low grade' result means that only some of the collected cells were abnormal.

When you go for your colposcopy appointment they will take a biopsy if they believe them to be cancerous or pre-cancerous, then you have to wait a couple of weeks to find out the results.

When I went for my colposcopy they told me it was a very large area affected so I asked them to do a loop biopsy there and then, which I am now glad I did because mine did turn out to be cancer! :(

Try not to worry too much though, I think you seem to be in a much better position than me as your diagnosis is low grade.

This site is great, I only joined a couple of weeks ago and have found this forum great and the other women provide plenty of advice and support.

Keep your chin up

Lisa x x x

Hey. Lisa explains it a lot better than me. I'm still new to it all and have also found your advice (lisa) very helpful :) x

I'm glad I can pass on some info, I dident realise how much I actually knew until I started writing it down! :)

I can't believe only 6 weeks ago I knew very little about this type of cancer and never thought I would be going through it myself!

Just stay positive both of you, good luck for the colposcopy Sammie and hope your letter comes soon Angel

Sending hugs to you both x

Lisa x

Abnormal Smear 15/04/2013, Colposcopy & Lletz Procedure 30/04/2013, Diagnosed CC 15/05/2013, Cone Biopsy 03/06/2013

Dear Sammy and LisaCool Wow you are both so lovely for writing back so super fast and with such kindness.  Lissa how are you know?  What is the lastest? Sammie what about you.  Are you OK now?

I totally loved the water analogy and it is true...I with a rather marvellous man over a long distance (Edinburgh) and it is hard being in London so far from Edniburgh.  Great pals and family but Mum in Bristol.  This is all very weird but as you both say.  It does not mean this is cancer, just afraid as I have the HPV so not sure what the sketch is there...so I being calm at the moment and reading as much as I can here without going nuts on Doctor Google.  I love my job too and want to continue being strong for those I work with (health charity).  Thank you both so much xx Hugs to you both. 

I'm still waiting for the results on my cone biopsy, so might be another 2 weeks before I find out anything more. But fingers crossed they have got it all out and I won't need a hysterectomy or chemo!

Hope you guys both get better results than I did from your colposcopies

Lisa :)

Abnormal Smear 15/04/2013, Colposcopy & Lletz Procedure 30/04/2013, Diagnosed CC 15/05/2013, Cone Biopsy under GA 03/06/2013, still awaiting results...