Heavy bleeding

Has anyone else experienced This?  I'm 17years post treatment (chemo/radio) and have had small amounts of bleeding (spotting) here and there over the years. But 2 months ago I had what felt like a period with severe pain! I've had an examination, mri and pet scan and all are ok! The consultant couldn't do a hyscoscopy due to the radiotherapy damage so there has been no examination of the womb but the scans were ok. Anyway, last night it happened again! I'm going back to consultant Monday but he's at a loss! Anyone else had this? 

Hi Emma

I can empathise with how scary a significant vaginal bleed can be because it happened to me a year or two ago.   Not long before my bleed I'd had an MRI which was clear.  I had an emergency appintment with the oncologist and was advised that my bleed was due to neo blood vessels which are fragile and can bleed easily; apparently these neo vessels are a by-product of radiotherapy.  I've only had that one significant vaginal bleed to date; on advice from the medical team I now use a vaginal moisturiser regularly which has had the additional benefit of helping me to feel generally more comfortable in the nethers. 

Recently I  had bleeding from my urethra; it's a long story but I have to self catheterise 3 times a day and the bleeding started just after I inserted the catheter tube although after 3+ years of self cathing I'm very experienced with the procedure.  I told my medical team and the consultant has diagnosed me with atrophic vulvovaginitis for which I have been prescribed a topical oestrogen cream.  I'm informed that the cream should help to thicken my atrophied (thin) vulval-vaginal area and help make it less fragile and less likely to bleed.  I've recently been doing a lot of reading about VVA  (vulvovaginal atrophy often shortened to VA) - another long story but I think it's got a lot to answer for in my case. 

I don't know if any of this is relevant for you but thought it might be worth sharing. Hope all goes well for you.

x

Thanks jazza

this is really helpful, can I ask, did you have any pain before the bleed? I had really bad cramps, nearly went to a&e

Hi Emma

No, I didn't have any pain before my vaginal bleed.  I didn't have any warning: just got up in the small hours to go for a wee and when I wiped there was quite a bit of bright red blood.  I continued to bleed (like a light period) for a couple of days after and had to wear a pad - it totally cleared up within 3-4 days.

x

Hi Emma,

I have been going through posts as I had a heavy vaginal bleed this morning and there is still some light, watery blood on my pad. I was wondering if you have found out what caused your bleeding? If you don't mind me asking.

I saw my GP this morning and she has referred me to the gynae department and I am awaiting an appointment. I am worried silly.

I was admitted to hospital last weekend with a bowel obstruction and I had a full abdominal and pelvic CT scan and this only showed scar tissue and nothing ominous (thank you) and my GP confirmed this back to me this morning. Also my blood tests were very good too. So I am taking hope from those.

Love and good vibes,

Hi, I have had a moderate bleed today. I finished treatment last May (2020).
I’m also in a bit of discomfort as I’ve got period like cramps. I’ve called my CN nurse and also my GP. Waiting for a reply. I’m becoming more worri d as I’ve now been bleeding for 12 hrs.

Hi Harvitt

Sorry you’re having this scary time. Hope all goes well for you.

x

Thank you.
Could this be cancer? Could it be hormone /hrt related.
I’ve got a gynecologist appointment Monday. I’m trying not to over think it.

1 Like

Went to see the gynecologist. He said I had ‘a perfect vagina’ that hadn’t shrunken or shortened due to rads. Very pleased. He did a scan and he said I’ve possibly got a polyps which has bled or caused bleeding and I now have old blood. He tried to dilate my cervix to empty the blood and hope to get the polyps but it was too far back (as before) so I’m going to have to go in and go under a general to remove it.
I asked if he thought it could be anything thing else. He said he was quite sure it wasn’t but wants to be 100% sure hence why he wants to remove it.
But again he reassured by saying that I had a clear scan in March/April and that I had a perfect looking vagina.
I felt proud of my 'gina today.

5 Likes

That’s great news and a nice compliment haha. I can imagine it must have been terrifying to experience as your mind immediately goes to worst case scenario but you did the right think getting it checked straight away and not over thinking it. So pleased he doesn’t think it’s cancer related bleeding.
I’m just waiting my 6 month check up and trying not to worry about every niggle as I haven’t had a clear scan yet. Fingers crossed x

2 Likes

It takes time for the tumor to break down I suppose. I hope you get your clear scan soon.

Keeley