Health/Lifestyle changes

Hi
I just wondered if any ladies had any advice on being healthy?
I am trying to eat veg with my meals, I am not a huge fruit fan. Since this has all happened I am quite wary of whether I should be eating a lot of things like normal fruit and veg as it has been confirmed that those who use the pesticides in farming are at a higher risk of cancer. Also I had no idea that alcohol is an actual cause of cancer. There are also lots of other things in the environment such as pollution which all have risks. In my head I am adding all these small risks together and finding it hard to live my life without being paranoid. I tried to cook a healthy dinner tonight and it all went wrong. It made me feel very angry. I just want to live my normal life like before and do what I want. I am really sorry to rant. I know how lucky I am to be ok now, I am just finding it hard to know how to live normally now.
I am very keen on getting to the pool as soon as my 6 weeks is up as I wanted to do that for my own wellbeing before this happened. I am probably just overthinking as I am bored and have been off work for nearly 2 months now.
Have other people changed their lifestyles a lot?

Hey :) 

well it's not a bad thing with the whole healthy living...but you also have to enjoy life!! It's moderation!! I was mega healthy before diagnosis went to the the gym never smoke ate healthy drank green tea...but I still got it!!! It's virus driven majority of the time with cervical so healthy lifestill doesn't always prevent it!!! im over a year since being diagnosed now but for the first few months I blended so mugh organic brocolli and kale I almost turned myself green!! But I now have a drink and some chocolate when I feel like it...you will be ok just takes a few months to feel it again!!  And over thinking is so normal, i went back to work 4 weeks after chemradio as was driving myself potty lol!! Give yourself time it's still early days you'll be back to yourself before you know it xxx take care xxx

Hi misstell, totally get it, in fact I was looking up cancer fighting diets in the diagnosis days, all the exclusions etc. However we have to admit that none of the experts that have seen us have told us to avoid cashew nuts or spinach (as I read today) and so I reckon healthy weight and exercise and enjoy life!!!

you sound similar to me though which makes me guess it's a control thing too, would give us one angle to control and look after and make us feel in charge of this stuff. Don't think it works like that though but again, be happy whatever form that takes. 

Now, if I happen to read a post shortly that advises something fantastic I will race you to the health food store ;-) 

Hi :-)

We grow our own veg, don't use pesticides, cook everything from scratch using only simple basic ingredients, live out in the countryside with clean fresh air and I got cancer. Don't drive yourself nutty :-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi misstell, when I was first diagnosed I read up alot on potential carcinogens and it's so scary it seems it's everywhere,  pesticides on fruit and veg, hormones and antibiotics in the meat we eat, parabens in toiletries etc. At first I was eating all organic, completely cut out sweets, biscuits, dairy and my whole existence was me trying to do things to kill cancer cells.  Obviously I was obsessed but I saw a councillor but also that was very draining and hard to maintain. However I am more aware now and have made changes that are easy to do, so I gave up smoking and alcohol (special occasions I'll drink ), drink green tea, fruit and veg, multivitamin, lots of garlic meant to be good and antiviral so hope it's is anti hpv, I also stopped taking the pill as I didn't want anything messing with natural periods/artificial hormones etc but I know not everyone can do that. I also don't have air freshners in the house, use natural toiletries where possible etc. Just quite simple things I think but hopefully every little helps. Try and get plenty of rest and reduce stress (easier said than done with all this ) x

Hi ladies thank you all so much for getting back to me!

I think it is a control thing to be honest I feel like my life is on a bit of a scary ghost train ride haha. I had a bit of a downer yesterday after messing up dinner and my partner who has been very supportive just has a pull your socks up attitude now that I am technically better. He was like this before.. it is as if my unhappiness annoys him. He hasn't had the easiest time this past year but I want him to understand that I am not just going to be back to normal that I have changed a bit now that this has happened. 

Aw Tivoli that is amazing, growing my own veg is a definite goal of mine along with having a billion cats and 2 horses haha. I know I am probably being irrational with thinking we can prevent this. 

I think my worry is the virus and if it still there and my immune system didn't fight it off what can I do now? Does it mean it will never go away?

I saw a councillor before this happened due to stress and then a week later was diagnosed. I am back driving now so I could go back but I think she is only there on Tuesday's and Wednesday's and I dunno how that would fit in with work every week.

I think it is a lot to do with the time of year now everyone is out drinking and partying and I dunno if my friends are wary of inviting me. I haven't drank much and I am trying to be healthy. I am a healhty weight but my next aim is definitely to get fit and exercise more. 

Sending love and good wishes for the year ahead x 

I had to self refer to a councillor through a card my gp gave me, think it was called therapy4you and they had evening appointments which I went to. They can't undo what happened (at first i wanted someone to guarantee me id never get it again) but did help me to control my obsessive thoughts. I was the same in that I wanted to feel I had some control over what was happening to me and do all I can to prevent it and I think healthy lifestyle must help a bit and definetly helped me mentally so I didn't feel so helpless. I lost count of the number of times my partner told me 'you've got to sort yourself out, pull yourself together'. But not always easy and it is a huge shock to be diagnosed and takes a while for you to feel you're safe and ok again. I think how you're feeling is normal and we all react differently, just give it time and you'll start to feel better I'm sure x

Aw thanks Libby that is really helpful. I might go back to my gp and see if I can get evening appointements. Yeah I think I just like to walk before I can run!x 

I know how you feel with the trying to control things as you've had your life literally put into someone else's hands they have dictated what is going to happen and when and all we could do was pray that it would work so we look at where we can gain back control and food is the main thing - this is also how people with eating disorders think (I'm not saying you have one or will have one) but it is easy to lose control and try to control too much....I am a major stress head and have always been and going through cancer has caused me a great deal of stress, anxiety and depression and I struggle on a daily basis to do the most basic of things because of this. I have major mood swings which are crippling and got me the nickname grumpy from my mum - she won't listen and doesn't understand and doesn't seem to want to understand to her she is always right and when I went through chemo I couldn't eat physically I couldn't eat my body refused everything I tried to put into it to the point where I lost so much weight I could barely walk and she use to scream at me to eat like I was purposely not eating!! I am still very skinny but I'm getting up to 8 stone again! (My 12 year old niece is 6 & half stone and is tall and skinny - I'm almost 30).

i am eating like a pig to gain weight nothing is off limit although I still struggle as some foods don't taste like they use to due to the chemo so Sunday dinners are my favourite thing ATM! I also eat a lot of veg and fruit as I enjoy it a lot more than I did before hand.....

I try to take control with things like the cleaning of my home I am so house proud its unreal! But I also have a puppy who likes the house to be a mess!! I tidy up and the tornado follows and messes everything up! And I've had to learn to laugh at her and leave the house a mess then when she goes bed I tidy all up - she also likes to 'play a game' which is one sided lol! I will put her toys back into her toy box (she has at least 30!) and she likes to take them back out again - I will pick one up and she will try to snatch it from me and if she doesn't follows me and as soon as my back is turned its out again.....gggrrr

sorry for the essay, what I'm trying to say is no one predicted what was going to happen and obsessing (I have accepted my fate, I obsess over money, cleaning etc unnessasary things) over the cancer coming back is going to consume you - if you feel your obsessing then do something go for a walk, read a book, listwn to music and sing along anything to stop the thoughts what I did and now I don't obsess over something I can't control - I have advanced cancer - I obsess over things that don't matter - I'm working on it :-)

I know how you feel with the trying to control things as you've had your life literally put into someone else's hands they have dictated what is going to happen and when and all we could do was pray that it would work so we look at where we can gain back control and food is the main thing - this is also how people with eating disorders think (I'm not saying you have one or will have one) but it is easy to lose control and try to control too much....I am a major stress head and have always been and going through cancer has caused me a great deal of stress, anxiety and depression and I struggle on a daily basis to do the most basic of things because of this. I have major mood swings which are crippling and got me the nickname grumpy from my mum - she won't listen and doesn't understand and doesn't seem to want to understand to her she is always right and when I went through chemo I couldn't eat physically I couldn't eat my body refused everything I tried to put into it to the point where I lost so much weight I could barely walk and she use to scream at me to eat like I was purposely not eating!! I am still very skinny but I'm getting up to 8 stone again! (My 12 year old niece is 6 & half stone and is tall and skinny - I'm almost 30).

i am eating like a pig to gain weight nothing is off limit although I still struggle as some foods don't taste like they use to due to the chemo so Sunday dinners are my favourite thing ATM! I also eat a lot of veg and fruit as I enjoy it a lot more than I did before hand.....

I try to take control with things like the cleaning of my home I am so house proud its unreal! But I also have a puppy who likes the house to be a mess!! I tidy up and the tornado follows and messes everything up! And I've had to learn to laugh at her and leave the house a mess then when she goes bed I tidy all up - she also likes to 'play a game' which is one sided lol! I will put her toys back into her toy box (she has at least 30!) and she likes to take them back out again - I will pick one up and she will try to snatch it from me and if she doesn't follows me and as soon as my back is turned its out again.....gggrrr

sorry for the essay, what I'm trying to say is no one predicted what was going to happen and obsessing (I have accepted my fate, I obsess over money, cleaning etc unnessasary things) over the cancer coming back is going to consume you - if you feel your obsessing then do something go for a walk, read a book, listwn to music and sing along anything to stop the thoughts what I did and now I don't obsess over something I can't control - I have advanced cancer - I obsess over things that don't matter - I'm working on it :-)

Hi Carmel

Thank you so much for your post. It really helped put things into perspective. I have begun eating more normally again with christmas and all it was hard not to haha! When I was inbetween waiting on results etc I was so anxious all the time it was hard to eat. I have always been a big eater but luckily slim to average build. I think my aim is more having a healthy immune system as the whole experience in hospital is something I would rather not repeat whether it is for the big c or anything health related in the future. I guess what I am trying to say is even though it may not actually make much difference as healthy people get ill all the time too just trying to be more healthy, mindful and increasing exercise may help relieve this anxious feelings and also make me feel like I am at least doing the best for myself that I can. I hope that makes sense. I know I am so grateful everyday that I haven't needed more invasive treatment. Sorry to read that your cc in advanced. If you can have a positive outlook then I sure should too :) 

Oh I know exactly what your saying I eat a lot more halthy than I did before my treatment and I enjoy it it's nice to do something that makes you feel better about yourself. 

Your praying to the quior about hospital stays! I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than have another stay in hospital some nurses will say oh 'back again' and I'm so embarrassed because I feel like I've put myself there but I know it's not my fault...2017 is going to be our year! No hospital stays and some good news for you I hope!

dont worry about my diagnosis im still here and getting stronger and I'm determined not to let it beat me like they say age is just a number I feel a grading is just a grade - I'm kicking cancers arse and intend to do so for sometimw xx

Oh I've also found eating more fruit and veg = a lot more trumps! Hahahaha