Have I slipped through the net?? UPDATE

Morning all,

I would really appreciate it if someone would read my story and give their opinion because I really don't know what to think anymore......

I went for my first smear as soon as I was called at 25 (2011) the result came back abnormal, within the results letter it suggested they had found HPV present, however I can't recall the letter stating the level they had found.  I went for a colposcopy where I was told that they couldn't see anything abnormal, I now know they didn't take any biopsies. So i left the hospital feeling relived and recieved a letter shortly after basically stating that all was fine and I would need another smear in 3 years time.

3 years have passed...... And I am now 28 and went for my 2nd smear as soon as I was called in January. The nurse carried out my smear and commented that there was blood on the "brush", she said that if there's too much blood I would have to return for another smear as the result would be void. I explained to the nurse that I had been having a little abnormal bleeding, after sex and between periods- she didn't seem overly concerned and sent me on my way, saying that there could be blood present because of where I am within my menstrual cycle-this I knew.

The smear results came back as abnormal this time with high dyskaryosis CIN 2/3 present and I would need a coloscopy.(again)

At the coloscapy the doctor had my notes in font of her and asked a few, in my mind obvious questions such as have I had a smear before. I explained that I had 1 previous smear 3 years ago  and that after a coloscopy, I recieved a letter saying I was ok. The doctor then looked through my notes and said "oh yes, you had moderate levels of HPV present" 

I never gave this a thought and went in for my coloscopy where the doctor told me she "couldn't see anything, but will take some biopsies anyway" she explained that the coloscopy only allows them to see the front of the cervix and some cells maybe behind where they can't see, or under the skin. (It was a punch biopsy I had)

I'm currently on my 2nd week of waiting for my results which I was told, can take upto 4.

During this 2 weeks I've been thinking back to my first smear and thinking should I have been called back after another 6 months???- if I had moderate changes then, should they have not taken biopsies "just in case" then??? I feel like I've been left for 3 years and now my cells have changed from moderate to high.

The nurse said I would recieve a letter with an appointment to go back and discuss my results if treatment was needed.......however "treatment" wasn't explained so I'm not actually sure what this means. Is it the Llez????? What is this???? 

Am I overreacting, being a drama queen or am I right to be concerned about the whole situation? I feel really alone with my worries. 

Thanks

Kat 

Hi Kat :-)

So sorry you are feeling so alone with your worries. I was reading just the other day that abnormalities in younger women tend to sort themselves out without any treatment and that is why doctors are reluctant to start cutting lumps out of your cervix too soon. I think that the reason for asking obvious questions to start with is to help you to relax and feel comfortable before the more difficult questions follow on. If the first question was a difficult one you had to think really hard about it might cause some people to get flustered.

What I think you need to bear in mind is that she was unsure whether or not there was too much blood for the smear to be any good. So that doesn't sound to me like a huge amount of blood. Then at your colposcopy you were told she couldn't see anything (out of the ordinary), which is also a very good sign. She has taken biopsies just to be on the safe side, because she doesn't want to miss anything invisible to the naked eye but to be honest with you, it's all sounding really pretty good.

I hope that helps to set your mind at rest a little :-)

Be lucky

Tivoli

Tivoli is correct, if there was something sinister, they would most likely see it during the colposcopy. And the abnormal cells return to normal in many cases in younger women too. However, regarding HPV, they should have told you if it is high risk (Hpv 16/18) or low risk. Does not matter now becasue most of us clear any hpv on its own. You will be fine, do not worry. When I had my first colposcopy, the doctor said he needed to treat me right there and then (LLETZ) as he could tell it was not normal (you can imagine how shocked I was!) and it came back as CIN2 + 3. It was painless. 

Thanks so much for your replies and reassurance- I just think it's so easy to worry and fear the worst.  I need to keep positive. X

Hi all so as above I went for my coloscopy on 10/1/15 where they took punch biopsies. I had a letter 4 weeks later saying that they hadn't found anything and they would send me a further letter with the histology of results.

so today, I have recieved a letter for an appointment for treatment and says that the results of the biopsies are in line with the smear result!

how can I be told I'm fine and then be told I need treatment?? It was the most shortest letter ever.....no explanation of what treatment will be carried out or how I will feel after.

can anyone shed any light on this for me- what will the treatment involve? Will I be able to return to work after? (I'm a teacher)

thanks so much kat x