had a letter....

hi all

received a letter today to go for a colposcopy examination!! Shocked and bewildered by it all only had my smear 2/3 weeks ago, rang my doctor who informed me that i have borderline abnormal cells and HVP1? had a look on cancer research uk website (i know internet can be a enemy when it comes to health) but it said there are different types so can anyone shed any light on my type as was not mentioned? Also how did anyone find the colposcopy? All information greatly received, i know i am probably worried about nothing but in 25 with children 6 and nearly 4 but all happened so fast getting letter out the blue this morning just makes you think the worst, my colposcopy date is 14th aug 2015. Look forward to anyones stories or replys

.Laura

Hi Laura, I had similar I went for my 2nd smear and didn't really think much of it and then (on my birthday of all days) I received a letter saying I had high grade dyskaryosis and was being sent for a colposcopy in less then 2 weeks I panicked as thought 'thats really soon I must have something horribly wrong with me' (it seems to be the average wait I think) I then also did some research and found out it's the equivalent to cin3. I had a colposcopy and it was honestly not as bad as I thought, they may treat you there and then (usually a Lletz) or they may take a biopsy and send them off to see if treatment is needed. I had this and recently had my lletz which I am currently still waiting for results. When you have your colposcopy they usually have a camera so you can watch what they are doing if you want to (it's strangely intriguing I couldn't look away)  it is a worry but the waiting is the worst of it. At least if it is anything they have found it and it will be sorted. Try not to google and just come on here it has really helped me talking to people that have been through it also, I feel less like a drama queen knowing people are worrying like I am. Hope you are ok x

Hi Laura

It is all rather scary when you first get told you need a colposcopy - really it just means they need to take a closer look and check out the abnormalities to decide if you need treatment. Don't worry too much about it, the best thing is that the doctor can take a look and if necessary carry out 'preventative' treatment to remove abnormal cells. Not sure about the specific strains of HPV but I have HPV 16 which is one of the 'bad' ones, so I haven't heard of HPV 1 being a high risk strain. You could check with your doctor when you go for the colpo though. Good luck! xXx

Aug 2013 - turned 25, clear smear result
Jan 2015 - smear taken as part of routine 'full body' health check-up - results show HPV 16 high risk, and CIN 1 confirmed
Jan 2015 - colposcopy, CIN 2 confirmed, biopsy taken - results inconclusive, return in 6 months for another colposcopy
July 2015 - 6 mth repeat colposcopy - abnormal cells seen, biopsy taken, and smear
July 2015 - smear results show HPV 16 moderate changes, biopsy result inconclusive (again) - lletz carried out. 
July 2015 - Lletz results showed CIN 1, removed with clear margins. Check-up smear in 6 months. 

I'm pretty certain HPV 16 & 18 are the highest risk for developing cc, I'm not sure about HPV 1.  For me the colposcopy was fine, the doctor that did it was so careful it was actually better than my smear, & getting the biopsy (which you may or may not need depending on what they see) didn't hurt at all (he got me to cough at the same time that he took the biopsies & I barely felt a thing).  Borderline changes mean they have probably found the changes about as early as it's possible to find them when they are extremely treatable so try not to worry too much!  All the best *hug*.

Hi Laura,

I know its way easier said than done- but dont worry!

I am 25 too, had my first smear in June and got a call a week later to ask if i could go to hospital for a Colposcopy as they had found severe abnormalities! Honestly- it was terrifying to hear and so many things run through your head! I have a little girl who is coming up to 2, and i just felt sick thinking about her.

I also tried to re book it, as i had started my period and heard that the procedure couldnt be done during- but when i rang they said,

"Under your circumstances we need you to come in no matter what happens". Which honestly terrified me even more!

When i had the colposcopy the doctor told me there were cells that needed to be removed and i had the LEEP procedure instantly.

I had a local anaesthetic, and it literally took about 3 minutes for them to be removed. Afterwards just felt like i was having a bad period, and then i had to wait for my results again as the cells were being sent to the lab for a biopsy. When i got the results 3 weeks later they said the cells were CIN 1 and 2, and there were no signs of cancer.

You just have to think about how positive it is that youre being looked after so quickly, so that if there was anything that needed looking at it would be taken care of.

It is a huge worry thinking about this- i think more so because people dont talk about it enough- i hadnt even heard of a colposcopy before all this happened!!

i hope everything goes well for you- and im sure it will! Remember you always have people to talk to xxxxx