Good vaccine news today

Hi all
Has anyone else seen the news today that a trial has found that giving the HPV vaccine at the same time as treatment for cell changes has been successful in prevention of recurrence? It was on This Morning is in the BMJ and there is an article in The Daily Mail. It sounds like it’s early days but gives some hope to those of us who are at higher risk. Am not too good at posting links but maybe someone on here will jump on and add one. PS also on Radio 4 & in The Guardian - Study by Imperial College London.

8 Likes

Hello yes is good news. My gynecologist was very sure that taking the vaccine after treatment for CIN was a must she made me do it and said could not understand why vaccine is not free for all women that have cell changes or worse, now I understand why she was probably very aware of the benefits I could not understand why in many occasions people on this site mention their doctor didn’t advise to get it is very annoying they should please start telling everyone to go get it trying to avoid getting cancer is no joke and anything that can help should be prescribed to everyone . Definitely great news

3 Likes

Hi

Here is link for a BMJ report in connection with the recent vaccine news: https://www.bmj.com/content/378/bmj-2022-070135

It’s great that such work is being done. However, it’s early days and more studies are required. The BMJ report concludes as follows:

‘HPV vaccination might reduce the risk of recurrence of CIN, in particular when related to HPV16 or HPV18, in women treated with local excision. GRADE assessment for the quality of evidence indicated that the data were inconclusive. Large scale, high quality randomised controlled trials are required to establish the level of effectiveness and cost of HPV vaccination in women undergoing treatment for diseases related to HPV infection’.

x

1 Like

Hi Hop1 and thank you for your reply. I think very highly of the treatment team I had and was happy to trust the judgement of my consultant and their advice. I have come to understand that the MDT professionals are following NICE guidelines so they are giving advice based on the current scientific evidence; apparently even medical professionals and scientists are still learning about this virus and how it works so different medical professionals may have different opinions given that viruses lie dormant until they are triggered. So I feel that any news and any research breakthroughs are good. Of course emotionally it isn’t easy going through any of this - I am currently too old for the vaccine but would definitely have it if it was offered to me. I do read any articles I can about research and feel that there have been some really good developments recently in terms of different approaches to testing which will enable the medical professionals to encourage more people to get screened and also to expand screening programmes in LMIC countries. It’s good to hear that you have had the vaccine. Thanks again for your reply.
Ax

1 Like

Hi Jazza
Thank you for posting this! It’s spot on.
Hope you are OK
Ax

1 Like

Thanks Jazza I did read it and it does look positive but what I wonder is whatever the result is positive because it simply protects you from catching the other types therefore lower the possibility of a new infection with a different type not exposed to before treatment doing any harm or it has some sort of effect on the actual type that made you have cell changes in the first treatment .or maybe is both put together.
Not sure if I explained myself properly sorry English not my first or second language :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Sooo

If we ask for it will they give it us? I am 36 and I looked it up and each dose is £165 and you may need 2 or 3!

I know it may be worth it but it does seem expensive why can’t they give it us when school age kids get it free and we are higher risk?

Hi Hop1

I understand what you are saying. I started thinking about it and I found myself coming up with various theories and then got confused - lol.

Here’s hoping that further studies will be done soon and will yield reliable and positive results.

x

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing x

1 Like

I’m in the states but that is good news indeed. I will google the article. Thanks so much for sharing.

1 Like

Exciting! I got the vaccine privately a couple of days after my LLETZ in June from Boots. My gynaecologist didn’t mention this but I did it off my own back after reading that it might help.

2 Likes

It is terrible that it’s not available to all women with cell changes but until there’s enough large scale evidence on paper it won’t be funded. What I can’t understand is why gay men are allowed it for free up to 45 and women (unless you are transgender or a sex worker) only free up to 26!!!
I was told repetitively that I couldn’t have the vaccination by many different HCPs and it wasn’t recommended blah blah but made a pest of myself/turned into a broken record and eventually got it. There’s no denying that it will help, anyone with reasonable intelligence should be able to draw such a conclusion.

2 Likes