Getting Pregnant.

Hello Im Monty 26 and In December 2011 I was diagnosed with FIGO stage 1B1 squamous cell carcinoma of the unterine cervix. In Jan 12 I had a laparoscopic radical trachelectomy and in Feb 12 I was told this opertation had been a sucess. I have just had my 6 month check up in August and the results came bk clear :) I have a 2 year old son and would like to try for another baby in the next 2 years. I would like to hear other woman's storys on having children after been diagnosed with cervical cancer. I don't have much knowledge all I've been told by my consultant is pregnacy can still happen and I would never be able to have a natural delivery. If anyone can help me I would be very greatful. Thanks XxX

Hi Monty,
I’m Liane and I had the same diagnosis and same operation as you in September 2012. Here in Belfast they don’t tell you very much about pregnancy after the operation either. I have a nearly 4 yr old but would like another child. I found statistics very hard to come by but I’m in contact with a dr doing cancer research and she is going to be sending me some information in the next couple of weeks. If you keep in touch I’ll be happy to pass onto you anything I get.
I have spoken to a couple of girls who had children and they just mentioned that it can be harder to get pregnant, there’s a higher risk of miscarriage throughout the pregnancy and it results in a c section. Only the miscarriage concerns me especially considering it can happen in any trimester. I think psychologically it is tough for the girls not to panic the whole way through pregnancy. Somewhere on this site is a girl who posted about giving birth after radical trachelectomy, can’t find it again after site changed.
Did you have a stitch put in? I was told to wait until six month check up before considering pregnancy. Unlike you, time is against me as I just turned 39 which explains why I have been turning to other professionals outside of Belfast.
Hope everything is going well for you,
Liane X

Hi there is another topic in the fertility section also talking about pregnancy after CC. I am 20 weeks pregnant just now after stage 1b1 andenocarcenoma. I have been getting monitored every few weeks by the hospital since week 6. My next scan is tomorrow, since I only had two LLETZ and pelvic lymph node removal I don’t have a stitch yet so much of the monitoring is to see if I need a stitch. I don’t get to see my oncolgyst during pregnancy as they won’t test or examine me which makes me nervous. I had my diagnosis in July last year x

Thanks for your post, sorry haven't been online in a few weeks so only just seen these comment. Yes I have a stitch in place and been told it has to stay in for life to act as a pretend cervix. I did email a doctor on this web site to try and get some more information and what I was told was quite good. I can,t seem to find the email ATM but basically I've been told that I would still be able to do every day to day things, I will b monitored more often as I would be classed as high risk, the percentage of miscarriage is the same in the first 3 months but then raised throughout the rest of the pregnancy and baby would be born by c section at roughly 36 weeks. If you don't mind passing on any other information I would be very great full. I will message you my email if I can find out on here how to do it lol. Thank u x

Hi Hun sorry haven't been online so only just got this. I wish u all the best with the baby and plz if u don't mind keep me up to date with ur progress. 

Hi Monty & Fireworkgirl, I have a very similar situation to yourselves. I had a radical trachelectomy in Nov 2011 with a good recovery since then.

I have now been trying to conceive for over a year with no luck. I have undergone all fertility tests, as I do not have any children and could have fertility issues. All the results have been fine apart from an inconclusive tube test. Therefore my only option maybe IVF, which could also be complicated due to the lack of a normal cervix.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has undergone a similar situtation. It has been quite a stressful and upsetting year and it would be nice to hear stories from others in my dilemma.

x

Hi,

I had a radical traclectomy in 2001- so I was one of the first in the country to have the procedure. I had alllymph nodes removed first and then the traclectomy. As far as I am aware if you've had a RT you will have a stichost the bottom of your womb which means you'll have to have a C - section.

So fast forward ten  years and I fell pregnant! I'd been off the pill and using no contraception for 2/3 years and to be honest we were not actively trying - I think this helps - that we were relaxed. Anyway - I had a second stitch inserted at 3 months to support the baby and very closely monitored. At 22 weeks I had a test done - which I'm sorry I can't remember the name of- basically when you are about to go into labour you have a protein present in your Vagina - they tested and I was positive so they admitted me to hospital and gave me steroids for the baby. This is well documented and safe it's to help with lung development etc in premature cases. My waters broke at 27 weeks and I managed to keep him in for another 3 1/2 weeks and he was finally delivered under emergency c section And was 3ibs 11oz. He was so strong and didn'need anything oxygen or medication.

In hindsight I think that the fact I was so relaxed - pretty much in denial that I was pregnant- really helped both of us! So my advice is - I know it's hard but try to relax and believe that everything will be good! It might sound Naive but worked for me!

realise this might be light on detail so anyone who would like more info please feel free to get In touch.

Best of luck

Xx

Hi I haven't been online for a good few months now so only just seen peoples replys. I have an app with my consultant Feb 2014 for a check up and pregnancy is starting to play on my mind again. I have a son who is 3 and would like to hopefully fall pregnant again 2014. I have so many questions going round in my head and also now some doubt. I have received no information what so ever on pregnancy after having my cervix removed. If anyone can help plz could you message me. Many thanks x

You can certainly be pregnant after the opertation. How is it going about trying another baby?

Hi I am currently waiting until my next appointment with my consultant which has now been pushed back to March. Im hoping they can give me more info and answer some of my questions. Me and my partner have spoken and we have decide to try in the summer time but the closer it gets the more it's playing on mind. So many ifs and buts rolling round in my head and also some of the stories I have read which to be honest isn't many have left me maybe a little more negative about it. I know I can get pregnant but it's how the pregnancy will go and carrying the baby which r playing on my mind. I'm currently surrounded by so many pregnant friends and family it's hurting me deep down with the what ifs. I had such a perfect pregnancy with my son back in 2010 and I just having negative thoughts which isn't good

Hi I am currently waiting until my next appointment with my consultant which has now been pushed back to March. Im hoping they can give me more info and answer some of my questions. Me and my partner have spoken and we have decide to try in the summer time but the closer it gets the more it's playing on mind. So many ifs and buts rolling round in my head and also some of the stories I have read which to be honest isn't many have left me maybe a little more negative about it. I know I can get pregnant but it's how the pregnancy will go and carrying the baby which r playing on my mind. I'm currently surrounded by so many pregnant friends and family it's hurting me deep down with the what ifs. I had such a perfect pregnancy with my son back in 2010 and I just having negative thoughts which isn't good