Getting pregnant after having a radical trachelectomy and lymph nodes removed from stomach

Hi I had my surgery to remove my cervix and lymph nodes from my stomach. I really want to have another baby but I’m scared it won’t happen please can I have anyone’s advice on this and if any of you lovely ladies have managed to have a baby after.

Hi Claire,

Just want to wish you lots of luck. I have stage 1b1 and have been offered a choice between removing cervix or a hysterectomy. I haven’t decided yet. Also I’m awaiting MRI and PET scan results. I can’t answer your question it I share it with you and just wanted to offer support.

How was your operation and recovery?

Xx

1 Like

Hi Katy
It’s a very hard decision to make but I’m sure you will do what is right for you. My surgery took 10 hours and 6 days in hospital I also had 3 months off work to recover but feel great now.
I have an mri scan on Monday to make sure all is OK.
Do you mind me asking how old you are?
It’s such a scary time. But sending all my love your way xxx

Hi Katy
It’s a very hard decision to make but I’m sure you will do what is right for you. My surgery took 10 hours and 6 days in hospital I also had 3 months off work to recover but feel great now.
I have an mri scan on Monday to make sure all is OK.
Do you mind me asking how old you are?
It’s such a scary time. But sending all my love your way xxx

Hi Claire,
I’m 38 and have 3 children, the youngest now 21 months. I had given myself until 40 and the end of the pandemic to see what happened about a fourth and final pregnancy. This has thrown a curve ball!
I’m glad you are feeling good now. I’ve been told I’ll have one night only in the hospital then sent home with a nurse calling me every day. Bit surprised at this, especially as here in France you get 5 days in hospital for a C section!
Regarding pregnancy, the doctor told me in one study that 56% of women they managed to follow got pregnant following trachelectomy. She pointed out that some of them may not have been actively trying so it was difficult to judge. Seems pretty encouraging though.
What is your situation? How are you feeling about pregnancy?
Xxx
Ps. The modern trachelectomy procedure was created in Lyon in France where I live 30 years ago for young women wanting to keep their fertility. Feel quite proud and optimistic that it’s a local success! Very silly I know. :slight_smile:

Hi Katy
I’m 37 with 2 children 21 and 16 so not so little now. I’m in a new relationship and we wanted to try last year but with the cancer things got put on hold. We have had the ok to start trying so here goes :crossed_fingers: I’m just so nervous about not being able to get pregnant with everything that had happened but will just have to wait and see what happens now.
Wow one night surprise me as it’s such a big operation. Will you be having your lymph nodes removed aswell?
I really hope it all goes well whatever operation you go for.
If you have any questions I can try and help :slightly_smiling_face:
X

1 Like

Hi Claire,
I’m so excited for you that you have the green light to start trying! Have you had sex since your operation? I’m concerned about that and the change in sensations as I expect surgery will remove a section of the vagina whatever I choose. The first time after each of my pregnancies was a big hurdle and I do wonder what it will be like after surgery. Sex isn’t a huge part of my life as a busy mum but it does matter!
The surgeon will remove and test a sentinel node during surgery. If it is clear then the others are left alone. If not, I’m not quite sure whether she removes them or will send me for radiotherapy. Kind of not thinking about that eventuality!
Xx

Hi Katy
I had sex around 10 weeks after was very scared and took it very carefully. I still bleed alittle after sex but no pain and have been told it’s normal.
My sensation is exactly the same which was one of the things I was worried about but all good in that department.
The only thing that feels different is I have numbness in my top left thigh which can happen and doesn’t annoy me unless my partner grabs and tickles me.
I really hope all goes well with your operation I have everything crossed for you. Xxx

1 Like