Further treatments after Chemorads? HELP!

Hi ladies,
I’m 3 weeks post treatment, 28 external radiation, 5 cisplatin and 5 brachytherapy. I just had my follow up call from my oncologist and expecting to have the 3 month MRI to see if treatment has worked. But he wants to see me in a week for an exam and discuss next steps from there possibly more treatments.
I was really surprised by this and wondering if anyone here had the same experience? It seems they’re doing this because my recent MRI before brachytherapy shows what they call partial response but upon checking the measurements my tumor that was used to be 3.5cm x2.2cm x2.5cm is now 2.8cmx 1.7cmx 1.8 cm
Altho there’s some shrinkage it’s not really that significant and maybe they don’t think the brachytherapy won’t be able to get rid of the residual tumor? What further treatments would there be? Maybe chemo mix? Im honestly terrified. Any advice? Thank you in advance. Much love to you all! xx

Hi May17,

I had scan 2 months after treatment ended this showed tumour had reduced. My oncologist said he was happy to do rescan in a further 3 months as treatment is still working. He said around 50% of women don’t get NED at first scan and a lot of hospitals don’t scan until 6 months and he also said some are moving to 9 months post treatment scans.
What the options are if chemorads has not been successful I am not sure but would think more chemo and or surgery a hysterectomy if residual tumour still within cervix although after chemorads a hysterectomy can be tricky due to tissue damage.
Take care xx

1 Like

How terrifying for you - but most particularly in the way this has been handled. I sometimes wonder whether these people realise how terrified women are when they give this sort of information without any indication what they are going to DO about it. AMF has given a very helpful response - it’s too soon to know what the impact of the brachytherapy and other combined treatment will be. 3 months minimum for the ongoing activity of the radiotherapy - and sometimes it takes longer. It may be that in the long run they will decide a further chemo cocktail is required - but they will do something. In the meantime, I hope you can cope with this week of torture before the meeting and someone actually has a proper conversation about the situation, rather than just frightening you! X

2 Likes

Hi AMF,

Thank you so much for the reply. I’ve read a lot of stories here and I’m just really surprised because the norm is after finishing the standard chemorads is to wait 2-3 months for the scan to see if the treatment has worked.
So when I had my first follow up call which was only 2 weeks after finishing treatment, saying he wants to see me in 2 weeks for an internal exam and see the next steps from there I definitely panicked. As he said I may need further treatments and when I asked would it be the chemo mix he just said we’ll see and discuss it in person and that he will know more after he examine me.
I just really thought treatment is over at least for now until the scan. I’m just really confused right now. xx

Hi Jacks,
I’m just really confused as to why I have to be examined 4 weeks after the standard chemorads. I’m not sure if they’re not confident that the residual tumour prior brachy won’t be gone or what. From the sound of it, they’re trying to be proactive and see if the brachytherapy is working and it I needed further treatment and not to wait until 2-3 months. The residual tumour as I mentioned was measuring 1.7cmx 1.8cm x2.8cm , so I have no idea what’s it’s measurement now that I had brachytherapy 3 weeks ago. I thought that was the main purpose of having it is to get rid of the residual tumour and wait 2-3 months to see results.
I know that some ladies here started w the chemo mix before the chemorads to shrink tumor first I’m just not sure if it can be the other way around. I’m just really worried at this point. xx

Hi May17. So sorry to hear that you are having to go through this anxiety again. I will be keeping everything crossed for you and thinking of you. Sending healing hugs xxx

2 Likes