Friend diagnosed yesterday

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer yesterday and she is now awaiting her next appointment to find out if it has spread and what stage she is at. 

I am merely seeking advice on how to support her through all of this.

If anyone that has had been through this themselves can advise on what support they found helpful or comforting and what they didn't find helpful.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Hi there, 

Sorry to hear about your friend. I found myself when i waa going through my treatment i didnt like it when people said they understand and that everything was going to be ok. Unless u have been through it u dont know. Just be a good listener and if your friend needs to cry or yell then just be there and comfort her. Also encourage her that she can do this.:-)

1b1 squamous cell, radical hysterectomy, path report showed parametrial lymph node involved, restaged to 2b, 5 chemo, 25 radiation 

Just  be there  for her  listen  to her when  she  needs  to talk  let her cry when  she  needs  to my best friend just let me  unload  everything  on her thinking  of  your  friend at this  tough time  xxx 

What a thoughtful friend you are. So sorry to hear about her diagnosis. It's a pretty bewildering time and your emotions are all over the place. As others have said, give her space and just be a sounding board. There may be practical things you can offer, eg lifts to the hospital, bits of shopping, all depending on her circumstances. My sister came with me to the hospital sometimes which I really appreciated, but she didn't intrude at any stage or try to be overly chatty. We are all different in what we need, so just let her know you are there for her at any time and in what ever way you can be. That is all anyone can offer. Hope all goes well with her treatment.

What a thoughtful friend you are. So sorry to hear about her diagnosis. It's a pretty bewildering time and your emotions are all over the place. As others have said, give her space and just be a sounding board. There may be practical things you can offer, eg lifts to the hospital, bits of shopping, all depending on her circumstances. My sister came with me to the hospital sometimes which I really appreciated, but she didn't intrude at any stage or try to be overly chatty. We are all different in what we need, so just let her know you are there for her at any time and in what ever way you can be. That is all anyone can offer. Hope all goes well with her treatment.

What a good friend you are Stacey :)

The time when you don't know a stage or have a plan is the worst of it as your mind goes in to overdrive. Just be there for her and maybe if she's up to it do something nice together...if she can take her mind off it for a little bit it helps. 

I'm sure she will have been told about this site so when she is ready we will all be here for her.

Cara xx

What a very good friend you are. I hate it when people say "you be fine". I know they're trying to pick you up but sometimes the way people say it makes you feel that you're over reacting. My friends have been great.. I'm recovering from hysterectomy and I'm enjoying the random visits xxx texts and messages can really pick you up. Sometimes a shoulder to cry on is all we need as there's things you can say to your friends that you can't say to partners as you don't want to worry them. Keep being you as you sound like a fab friend xxxx

How lovely you are.

The best way my friends could support me was by helping me out with my kids while I was going through my treatment.  I was always tired at the weekends and felt guilty that they were just left to their own devices so by taking them out, my friends were doing next a real favour cos I could sleep without feeling guilty x