Frequency of Smear Testing after abnormal Results

Hi,

I posted a little while ago about receiving a CIN3 with 0.2mm cancerous cells diagnosis following a biopsy.
I have since been back for a cone biopsy but no clear margins have been found so I am now waiting for a MRI and then to have a hysterectomy.
I had a colposcopy 3 years ago where they didn’t take any biopsies, just had a look and said no further treatment.
I’m wondering if I should have been called for yearly smears after my initial abnormal result? That maybe if I had I would not be facing this now :frowning:

Have other people had more regular smear tests after getting abnormal results?

Thanks,

Jo

Hi Jo

I'm so sorry you have to go through this! It's a tough job being a woman!! I don't have the answer to your question but I am also wondering the same as you.

I had treatment for CIN 2 last week and I know I am going back for a smear in 6 months but is that it?! If that comes back ok do I just wait for 3 years?! I don't think I'd be able to! All of my smears up until now have been normal and now I have CIN 2 - what happens if in the next 3 years I develop more?!

I would definitely feel happier with yearly smears..

Charlene x

Hi Jo,

i was under the impression that once High risk hpv was identified that they keep a closer eye on you (ie annual smears). I know if you have a  borderline smear but no hpv then they continue with  every 3 years. 

Hi Guys,

Spoke with me GP last night about this and he looked at my colposcopy results from 3 years ago when I didn't have any biopsies and said that they had reported that they didn't look that bad but did say HPV was possible.

My consultant now has also said that on examination, things didn't look that bad.  It's only because I was sore from her examining me that she decided to do the biopsy.

Just wish they'd done a biopsy last time