Found out last week and still coming to terms with it

I’m 42 and was diagnosed with CC only last week. I’m still at the very shocked stage and it’s dominating my every thought at the moment. I’m finding the emotional support at home quite challenging as my partner is trying to cope by making everything as normal or as ordinary as possible but it’s not what I’m needing. I’ve tried explaining but I think he’s out of his depth at the moment (as am I). Been offered a hysterectomy which I will have, as well as regular check-ups. It’s so strange how your world, your reality can change in such a short space of time. Think the emotional side of things is taking longer to catch up with what’s happened.

Hi DebbieA and welcome

Sorry you have found yourself in the club no one wants to belong to, but you’ve come to best place for support.

What you have written is pretty much exactly how I would hav phrased it, back in February 2017, when I was at the stage you are now. I don’t think anyone can imagine what a cc diagnosis feels like until they’ve experienced it.

There’s lots of us here to help you along the way, whenever you need.

x

1 Like

Thank you for that! It really does help knowing that other people feel the same as you and understand how difficult it is. For me, I think it was that I’d accepted that they found CIN 3 cells but then that got upgraded to stage 1A after my Lletz procedure. I just didn’t expect it at all. I do feel that I’m in safe hands now though and the people on here seem so supportive x

Hi Debbie a
Just checking in to see how you are doing at the moment? I have been told recently that I have cgin high grade and due a lletzs procedure in a couple of weeks. Ever so nervous as know that anything is possible to find during these things but just read your post and wondered how you were getting on?

Hi there sunshine24 :slight_smile:

Hope all goes well with your Lletz. I’m doing much better now - thank you for asking! I guess it took me a bit of time to come to terms with things. I’m
Just taking things one wee step at a time so that it doesn’t overwhelm me. There are days where I want to do the ostrich routine and bury my head in the sand and not deal with any of this but most days I’m in a better frame of mind. Scared about the hysterectomy and the recovery (esp the emotional recovery) from that. My partner and I had been trying for a long time to conceive and this definitively draws a line in the sand for us. A lot to deal with but I’m grateful that they caught it all early. How are you feeling about the Lletz procedure?

x

Hi Debbie a
Glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better about it all now and that you are coming to terms with it. What has your treatment been so far? I’m so sorry to hear about the hysterectomy and the fact that you were trying to conceive, that’s heartbreaking. I am feeling very nervous about it all. Had a colcoscopy which detected high grade cgin so booked in for the lletzs but after reading posts I am petrified they will find something else. I received a letter to say that they were precancerous cells so need to take some comfort in that and stop worrying untill I have had it done but so hard to not worry,I think about nothing else x

Hi sunshine24,

Back in Feb I got a letter to say my Pap smear showed abnormal cells so then it was off to colposcopy for me. They did two biopsies that day and they came back CIN3 so they booked me in for Lletz. The procedure itself was okay(ish) but I’m a very anxious person. It wasn’t painful at all and the recovery was okay - mainly cramping. I hadn’t really thought that the results would come back saying I had cc. I just assumed I’d get a letter in the post saying come back in a year for a follow up smear. So my treatment has just been Lletz so far. I’ve had a chat with my consultant and the oncology nurse after they had the MDT meeting and that’s when they decided that the best course of action would be hysterectomy. They will try to leave my ovaries so that I don’t go into early menopause. I’m due my surgery 1st September so it’s all happened really quickly.

Just remember, one hurdle at a time. Lots of support on here or even just a place to lay your worries down x

Thank you so much for the reply and reassurance,this really is such a helpful site. Yes ,that’s like me so far although I have the lleetz on the 1st September so just hope it’s all okay,I too am a very anxious person and just over thinking everything,like you said,must take one hurdle at a time. I wish you all the best for your hysterectomy on the 1st,I will keep in touch and let you know how I get on xx

1 Like

I have a terrible habit of always thinking the worst but been to all of my smears and not missed one so just have to think that if anything is up hopefully it’s been caught early enough and there’s lots of hope for things to get better on here and successful stories which is great to read x

1 Like

Good luck for tomorrow DebbieA,I hope it goes as well as it can do for you xx

Aww thank you sunshine24. As it goes, it’s been postponed as I’ve been told I’ve to go for a scan now. It is what it is. Good luck tomorrow with your Lletz treatment. Hope all goes really well for you xx

Oh no,sorry it’s been postponed :smiling_face_with_tear:,how are you feeling now? Hope you are keeping well and staying as strong as you can. Thank you,very anxious now but like you said,one hurdle at a time at times like this so just want tomorrow over and done with and then deal with whatever comes back after that xx