First week down

Hi everyone. I haven’t posted in a while, and have just finished my first week of treatment, so thought I’d pop on and give u lovely lot an update.
This weeks been hard. I think I went in a bit too optimistic about how well I would cope. I got very sick on Monday night after my chemo. I was projectile vomiting across a car park… Not my finest moment haha. The sickness lasted a few days. Then I got constipated from the anti sickness tablets. So had to medicate for that. Wasn’t expecting that one as I’ve been constantly told ill have the runs throughout. The past few days though I’ve just been absolutely starving. All I can think about is food :sweat_smile: is that the steroids? Is it normal? Hope it doesn’t last because I’m fat enough already haha.
I have been an emotional wreck, which I guess is to be expected. But I’ve struggled with it a lot because I’m not normally an emotional person, especially in public. But I’m crying at literally everything.
I had booked into a hotel this week as I have quite far to travel. I lasted one night and my mother in law came and got me. Between her and my boyfriend they amanged to take me back and forth everyday. My boyfriend had a bit of a meltdown on Monday night about me being there by myself when I was so unwell. He got worried something would happen and no one was there to help me. So he just wanted me home. And to be honest I’m glad I did leave. I don’t think I’d have gotten through this week without him. He’s been amazing.
I’m booked into the clan centre in Aberdeen from next week though, Mon-Fri. Hopefully we’ll all be more comfortable with me staying there as there is staff on duty 24hrs, and will be staying with 20+ other people all going through treatment too. Have met a few people I will be staying with already too so that’s nice.

Over all, today I’m feeling pretty good. Other than my nose being the most bunged up it’s ever been. My hay-fever is the worst it’s ever bee this week, probably because its my first time having it since quitting smoking. Hope that’s all it is anyway.
Thanks again for taking the time to read my ridiculously long stories lol and hope you’re all keeping well. Xxx

6 Likes

Rooting for you, Andrea xxx

1 Like

Thank you @AnaM xxx

Ah Andrea - you’re another 3C2 girl - so you’re having your whole abdomen (including stomach area) blitzed - I’m not surprised it’s hit you hard. As I’ve probably said, I threw up for over 3 hours following my first day. Your guts are just not prepared for the hit, are they? I’m sorry the hotel didn’t work out, but that your boyfriend and family were able to come through and get you there and back each day - and look after you. The hostel, with the other patients (your clan centre) sounds heaven sent. They will look after you properly. You will be able to do FaceTime with your family every day - I set up a ‘Treatment WhatsApp’ group for my family and posted messages, pictures and video clips during my treatment. It helps to keep everyone involved.

You’re doing so well! Your body has a big adjustment to make. It is going to be poisoned, but in a good cause. It’s going to save your life. I was constipated for the first three weeks then whoosh! Big turnaround. We’re all a little different because some of our bodies are more tolerant in some ways than others. My pulse rate went through the roof. I’d be waiting for the chemo on the lounge chair running at 133bpm. But it’s my body’s response to being stressed.

We’re all thinking of you and looking forward to the Week 2 update - it really helps other people understand their journeys, and we care about you. :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

@Andrea138 congrats on week one down! I am going on week 2 of treatment. I, like you struggled with emotions. I cry every time I have to go to chemo, and whenever I’m driving, or sitting at home alone. It’s an emotional rollercoaster! Hopefully things get better after treatment. I hate crying and worrying so much! I also struggled with nausea the first week. The second week has been a little better though. I feel the crappiest for the first few days after chemo, then start to feel better, just in time to have to go back to chemo. And I’m just constantly worn out. I could nap all day if I was able. How are your energy levels? It’s great you found a hostel closer to treatment with 20 others going through treatment. That’s got to be great for everyone going through it. Hopefully everything goes well for you this week! Xo.

2 Likes

Thank you @Jacks133
I’m sick all the time and have been for years now so I thought it would just be like every other day… Oh how wrong was I lol. My consultant told me to start a low fibre diet straight away because with the issues I already have, he thought I’d have diarrhea from day 1 but obviously he got that one wrong, so it’s back on the veggies and smoothies for this week at least.
Yes, we are so so so lucky to have the clan centre here. Aberdeen hospital is the cancer centre for everyone north of Dundee in Scotland. So we have people travelling from the Highlands, orkney, shetland etc so its amazing to have somewhere to stay. The nhs only fund your stay for the last 2 weeks of treatment and the rest you have to fund yourself, but at least we have that option as I know most places don’t. They provide lots of complimentary therapies during your stay too which is incredible. We also have the Maggie Centre just along the road from clan, another charity funded day centre, and we have the anchor unit in Aberdeen hospital, which is a local charity that provide amazing support. You get a care package from them with loads of lovelies goodies when you start your treatment. And they come around the chemo ward everyday offering treats and therapies, manicures, massage, whatever you need. It’s the top training hospital in Scotland, so we are really blessed to get some of the best of services, machinery and even some of the best surgeons in the UK. I know others aren’t as lucky. Xxx

3 Likes

Thank you @Hayhay10
Yes everyone says the first week is the hardest, so hoping next week will be easier. Its so nice to have others going through/finished their treatment to be able to compare with and get an idea of what’s to come. Feel free to message me anytime if you’d like a chat. Xxx

I hope it will be better from now on Andrea - for me it was the other way round :flushed: The last week was the worst - I got steadily more tired, needed blood transfusions and to carry changes of trousers and knickers around with me, could barely walk from one building to another… but it affects everyone differently. Just don’t think there’s anything ‘wrong with you’ if you find the treatment debilitating. I did and I told my consultant I thought I was doing a bad job of coping with it, and she put me right saying that despite my state I had not missed a single treatment, and that in her experience that was unusual. So it will be your journey and no-one else’s. We’re all rooting for you. X

5 Likes

@Andrea138 I found that my second week was a little more tolerable than the first. I was also told by quiet a few woman doing chemo with me that the first week was the hardest for them. I am anticipating a hard next few weeks though. I have been told because it’s progressive treatment it gets a little tougher each week. I’m basically preparing myself to just take a nice long 4 week nap! Haha. But with a full time job, two kids, and treatment we’ll see how well that works out. I hope your second week is better than your first!

2 Likes

Wow @Hayhay10, and you are working though it, too? I guess that’s a testament to both you (!) and the advances in treatment? All my best wishes!! X

@AnaM I have been working throughout treatment so far, but not nearly as often. I take chemo days off, and then work 1/2 days because of radiation. I think working and keeping a bit of normal routine has helped me keep my mind off things. I told myself I’ll work and do what I can until I can’t anymore, and then I’ll give myself a break. :slight_smile: I do think that the radiation machine I am using is very new and modern, but I’m sure the chemo is the same… cisplastin, and it kicks my butt each week.

3 Likes

Well done keep going and hope you’re sorted soon xx

2 Likes

Hi Andrea. Its been a while since ive posted but your post made me smile. Really glad to hear that you have the support of your partner and mother and you have someone at your appointments with you. Sorry to hear that you have been constipated and have been sick (in the street) i had to wee like a dog last week if that helps ha literally hiding by a fence squatting trying to miss my sliders was not my finest 30 seconds but lately the whole when you have to go you have to go has a whole new meaning. Im actually relieved to hear that your starving only as i thought i was defining science, cannot understand how having these wonderful enemas everyday and ive actually put weight on i cant stop eating even though i have a metallic taste in my mouth and cant taste anything. I felt rough over the 1st week but im on week 4 now and the end is in sight. I think i started to feel better when i got to half way knowing i had less to go than what ive done. Youve got this hun one day one week at a time. Its tough but try to keep seeing the humour in things x

2 Likes

Hi Andrea - we’re hoping for an update? How has the next week gone? Sending a big ((hug)). X

1 Like

Hi guys, sorry I haven’t been on. That’s me just over the half way line now and so far I feel I’ve been very lucky. Constipation seems to be my biggest issue right now, which I was not expecting. I think it’s the anti sickness meds they put in my IV during chemo. So I’m taking laxatives every night, but things are still moving very slowly. Having issues with filling my bladder for radio still too. Probably because I’m so backed up. The waters sitting in my stomach for ages before passing through. So I’m very bloated and uncomfortable, but compared to others, I’ve been very very lucky, so I’m grateful.
Not sleeping much at night. The night sweats are brutal. My brachy doctor is seeing my consultant this week to see what I can take for them. I had a sit down with her on Tuesday and we went over my brachytherapy, I really really like her, so feeling much more comfortable about it all. Makes the world of difference having confidence in ur team! So I’ll get the brachy within 2 weeks of finishing this treatment. She’ll do it 3 times over 36 hrs. They used to do it 4 times over 2 separate sittings but had to change it because of covid, so get the 3 treatments at a higher dose instead. So I only have to get the rods inserted and removed once which is a huge bonus.

But yeah, overall I’m doing quite well considering. No sickness and I’m eating like crazy :sweat_smile: I had been so unwell and throwing up daily for so long before treatment, it’s so nice to be enjoying food again. My doctors keep saying I’m a strange case, because ive gotten better during treatment instead of worse. My cancer symptoms have nearly gone. And I’ll take the treatment side effects over them any day.
Hope u all are well. X

4 Likes

Hi great to hear you’re over the half way point, its really does past quickly before you know it youll be done.

The brachy is everyone’s dread but tbh i found it fine pain wise it was just the lying still that got to me.

Its good that you are eating well i was the same nothing puts me off food!!

Good luck with the rest of your treatment.

Take care xx

1 Like

Hey everyone. Been a while since I’ve been on here so thought I’d better come and give u all an update now that ive finished treatment. I had the brachytherapy 2 weeks ago, and it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I expected! Even managed to get the rods out without gas and air! Sitting and then standing after being flat on a trolly for 30hrs was brutal though :sweat_smile: I’m just so glad it’s over! Having good days and some not so good days. My platelets and neutrophils decided to drop after my last week of chemo/radiotherapy, so had to get some injections to bring them back up before brachytherapy. Think they’ve dropped again since then going by how I’m feeling and how pasty and grey I am though. I’m also getting a lot of muscle aches and spasms down my legs and in my lower back and butt muscles. But it’s a small price to pay…
Now for the good news… My oncologist came to see me in the evening after my first brachytherapy to let me know that, on my scan I had that morning, he couldn’t detect any tumour and was confident that the brachytherapy would be enough to destroy any remaining residual disease. I know I’m not totally in the clear yet, and will have to wait for my 3 month mri before I can start celebrating, but it’s a major relief to know that the treatment is actually working and that it’s not all been for nothing. So overall, I’m super happy :blush:
Hope u are all well. X

6 Likes

Thats fantastic news Andrea, the treatment is tough but you’ve come through it with a great result. Well Done :clap:

That’s wonderful news @Andrea138, well done for getting through it all. I’m a bit behind you, on week 4 of 5 then bracky so it gives me hope I to can get through it!
Wishing you the best of health and a good recovery xx

Gizzy you’ll be fine everybody fears the brachytherapy but like Andrea I found it fine. The worst part is lying still for 30+ hours. Its such an important part of the treatment that you have to grin and bear it.

Just make sure you have plenty of things to watch or listen to. I started listening to audio books and that helped me pass the hours.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment xx

1 Like