First time Colposcopy *bricking it*

Hiya everyone.

I had a yearly smear test a few weeks ago and today I found out I have a low grade pre cancerous change.

Needless to say I burst into tears. The first thoughts that went through my head were fear of having cancer and leaving my family behind. Fear of having my womb removed and not being able to have more children. Honestly I was worried about telling my mum (how do you tell your mother who brought you into this world you might have cancer?).

However looking through this website has given me hope. I’ve also learnt I’m not alone.

I’m 27 years old. I have my colpscopy appointment friday (a day before my 28th birthday).

I’m not going to lie I’m scared (I was hoping to have another baby this year). I’m finding it hard to stop worrying and im trying not to cry.

Thank you for reading.

Katie x

Hi sweetie - funny story - I was thinking of calling myself sweetie on this forum too. But chose traveler instead! I know all about being worried, I just had my colposcopy/biopsy today. I believe you said you had mild changes - my friend had that. She went for colpo and they were still mild, so they just made her come back in 6 months. When she went back, it was gone! 

My side - I have high grade changes. I will have to have a LEEP procedure to remove the bad cells. I'm waiting on my results & will have them by next Monday. Just wanted to say - be as positive as you can, take supplements & keep healthy. It'll most likely go away in its own!

Hi Sweetie!

I won't say "don't worry" because it's natural to worry! I had a routine smear mid October and waited until 17th December before I got the dreaded "abnormal result" letter (which is absolutely terrifying in itself!!!)

I had my colposcopy on the 21st December after phoning up for a cancellation! I was not going to wait all over Christmas. 

Honestly, I didn't find the colposcopy that bad. The worst bit for me was the waiting in the waiting room and the anxious wait the days before. It all seemed so routine and normal when I was with the doctor and nurses (who were absolutely amazing and so lovely!)

During the colposcopy my doctor kept me updated on what he was doing while the lovely nurse held my hand and chatted to me about Christmas plans. 

They did the vinegar and iodine test, and took two biopsies - not so much painful but uncomfortable.

I didn't bleed much afterwards but I felt exhausted. Think it was all the working myself up that I did! I had the day off work so I could relax the rest of the day.

I am now waiting for biopsy results (5weeks and counting!!) which is making me a bit anxious. I have good days where I feel like I can take on the world and deal with whatever the biopsy shows! Then I have days where I google till the cows come home and  just want to go to bed. I'm sure this is perfectly normal! 

Good luck for Friday and make sure you really celebrate your birthday! You deserve it after the stress!! 

Thank you so much ladies xx

On Thursday I got a phone call (hospital have rescheduled for tomorrow). I was fine til the appointment got changed (I was more calmer & ready for it).

Can being ill affect a test result? As I was ill and on high painkillers before the actual smear test.

It's the fear of not knowing what they could find. All the what ifs. 

How did everyone find the biopsy? Was it painful? What happens?  

Thank you all so much for your kind reassuring words and support I really do appreciate it and it means a lot xxxx