First six month check-up after treatment?

So I just had some treatment on Monday - don’t actually know if it was cold coagulation or the laser as it was only explained that a layer around the biopsy site was being “burned” as a precaution because the biopsy appeared to remove all abnormal cells, but the results came back as CIN2 so they wanted to be sure and were taking extra precautions because I’m over 30…

Anyway, I was told it’d be 2/3 weeks to heal completely and then I’d be back in six months to check. So my question is, and maybe it’s obvious but I just want to be sure, does that mean I’ll just have to have a smear test/colposcopy at that point and then I’ll still have to wait however many weeks for results? I won’t actually know anything for sure other than how it looks at the six month appointment?

I just want to have a clear idea of what level of clarity I can expect then because I’ve not coped very well with this whole experience. I don’t think I’d take any comfort from how anything looked because the smear that started all this “looked fine” and wasn’t and the first colposcopy looked “low level” and wasn’t.

Hi,
I had my six month follow up last week post cold coagulation treatment. Basically it’s a HPV test after six months. If you are HPV negative it isn’t tested for abnormal cells (I wish it was). If you are HPV positive it will be tested for abnormal cells. If you still have abnormal cells that means another colposcopy to decide what further treatment is needed. The HPV test (smear test) results are taking approx 6 weeks at present. So basically you won’t know much after the six month follow up appointment it’s a case of waiting for the results. In my experience my first colposcopy and dyes didn’t show any abnormalities for me because my abnormal cells were deep inside the cervix. It was the biopsy that led to my diagnosis. I was reassured the first day that everything looked normal and the dyes didn’t highlight any abnormal areas but I’ve learned not to get your hopes up just because it looks normal superficially. I got my hopes up and when the biopsies came back as CIN 3 changes not only was I shocked but I couldn’t understand why I was told everything looked normal at the appointment. Then I learned that my abnormal cells were deep inside the cervix and that’s why superficially everything appeared normal.

1 Like