First HPV positive result

Hi Everyone

I had my smear test results today which came back as having a HPV infection. I’ve been told to have another smear in 12 months.

I have also been bleeding after intercourse. It is almost like a mini period. This has been going on since I had my little girl who is nearly 3, I have just put this down to her delivery but I am now thinking it might be connected. I have been to scared to see my GP about it.

I’m not really sure what happens next other than wait the 12 months for my next test.

If anyone could shed some like that would be great.

Morning

I had the same result as you, back in 2019. I was really worried, but revisited for my smear 12 months later in 2020, HPV was still there but there were no abnormal cells. I had to again return in another 12 months which was May 2021, HPV positive still but again no abnormal cells. Most people clear the infection within 2 years apparently. As mine is still positive which is now 3 times , that is the longest they will leave you even with no abnormal cells before inviting you in for a Colposcopy (which I am currently awaiting the appointment for!) Definitely worth you mentioning to your doctor (if you haven’t already!) about the bleeding after intercourse in the mean time though! Hope this helps xx