First chemo with rads. Exhausted and Nauseous.

I have had 5 rads and 1 chemo (monday) . i did great the first day of chemo. Just SUPER tired. 2nd and 3rd day nausea. Taking alternating meds for it. Can rotate every 4 hours but have just taken 1 yesterday and 1 today.  I am also taking olanzapine (zyprexa) day of chemo and 3 following days. Didn't think it would make me this tired. Body feels heavy and swollen. Needing a 3 hour nap in the afternoon. Always after rads. Super dry mouth but biotene helps. Also woke up in the middle of the night with hands asleep and they felt like crumpled news paper?  Neuropathy? So soon. Just thought it wouldn't hit me so hard so fast. I am healthy, active, and usually full of energy. Still doing some yoga (quick 11 minute wake up). Just wondering how everyone gets past the exhaustion. 

5 hours of chemo monday march 23rd

Quick rads every week day started march 19th (had 5th treatment today)

Hi Stacey Jane, 

Well done! I'm not starting until 9th April but am thinking about you. I am also 3c following the same treatment path as you. Hope you feel better soon. 

Keeley

Great job Stacy, keep up the good work! Maybe your second chemo will be a bit easier on you.

Glad to hear you have a start date. It seems we are bound on this journey together. Birds of a feather. Hope all goes well for you. 

Keep in touch. 

I hope so too. Is that a possibility? 

Hi,

Like you I'm you I'm healthy and active and can't sit still and the fatigue is going to be the hardest part. 

But the body rapairs the best during sleep. 

I'm also on the same path as you, they are looking to start me April 6th.

Hope your 2nd chemo is better. 

Hi. It might be worth speaking to your nurse about tweaking your medication. Maybe a different dose will help with the nausea. 

With regards the tiredness, I think you just have to go with it. They say that sleep helps you heal - don't know if it's true but it sounds feasible- when you're asleep you are not putting stress on any of your body. Tbh,  in the current climate, there's not much to do anyway! I used to sleep most of the day on Sunday- my chemo was Wednesday- the nurse said it'll be the steroids wearing off. Make sure you are eating and drinking well x

I don't know about the feeling in your hands but, again, worth speaking to your nurse. It was my feet that used to hurt but I was never given anything for it.

I did a countdown for my treatment- you sound like you're 20% through - massive chunk out of the way xxxx

Well done lovely!
I completely agree with Philleepa you should discuss your chemo meds they are brilliant at sorting out what works best for you, as for the tiredness just listen to your body and give it what it needs. 
try to drink lots and lots, on chemo days I would drink insane amounts. 
I already had tinnitus and the chemo made it worse but towards the end of the weekend it slowly improved and then got worse again, slowly after treatment it went back to its normal level so your pins and needles may be the same. 
It's deffo worth talking to your consultant about, I'm assuming you are on the highest dose of cisplatin and he may adjust your dose. 
1 week down woohoo!!! Stay strong much love xxx 

Hi Stacyjane,

Completly agree with the other girls. Definitely let your consultant know, there is lots they can do. I met a lovely lady when I was having treatment who was having some neuropathy type symptoms after her 2nd chemo. They lowered the dose slightly, put the chemo in 1000mls of saline instead of 500mls and delivered it over two hours instead of one hour. I don't recognise the medication you are on. I know a lot of us ladies were on a combination of Dexamethasone (steroid/anti-sickness) and Ondansetron (anti-sickness). I found these worked really well for me. Also, like Phileepa, I had chemo on Wednesdays and hit a brick wall by Sunday when the steroids wore off. I started to look forward to chemo day so I could get back on the steroids foot-in-mouth

I hope your second chemo is better. 

X Maria

Maria, i was on the same meds as you, and felt they worked pretty well too. My chemo day was Wednesday as well, I think my worse day was Saturday, I was always stuck to the couch on that day and would get bad night sweats on Friday and Saturday.

stacy, it might be worth talking to your doctor about changing meds, if it feels to rough on you.

also I would recommend 400 mg of magnesium, my doctor prescribed it for me after my second chemo,because I was getting pretty bad ringing in the ears. He said it helps with nerves and muscles,and luckily it worked and after treatment it went away , I'll get a baby ring in my ear rarely but nothing like it was before I got on magnesium. I'm still on it and my doctor said I should stay on it for at least a year. Maybe that might help with the numbness too, wouldn't hurt to try.

Good to hear from you Rissag. Hope all is well in this crazy old world of ours. X

Week 2 done. Chemo still 4.5 hours long. Felt tired and nauseous until today. Talked to my doc and they said i need to take the antinausea meds as needed. They usually kick in pretty quick. Changing my diet too. Hoping it will help. More bland foods. Cooked veggies. Feeling great today. Really upset that because of covid i have to go to treatments all alone now. No one can even stay in the waiting room with me. Last time it was 3.5 hours waiting and 4.5 chemo. Long day. 

Been quarantined for 21 days. Definately making going through this more challenging. I just hope they don't stop treatments. I am officially 1/3 of the way done as of today!!! Feels like something to celebrate. Glad to have 2 days off. 

Thanl you all for everything. It helps me so much. The supports groups at my oncologist have all been canceled due to covid. What a crazy time. 

Week 2 done. Chemo still 4.5 hours long (thought it was going to be 1.5 hours from here on out). 12 rads done. Felt tired and nauseous until today. Talked to my doc and they said i need to take the antinausea meds as needed. They usually kick in pretty quick. Changing my diet too. Hoping it will help. More bland foods. Cooked veggies. Feeling great today. Really upset that because of covid i have to go to treatments all alone now. No one can even stay in the waiting room with me. Last time it was 3.5 hours waiting and 4.5 chemo. Long day. 

Been quarantined for 21 days. Definately making going through this more challenging. I just hope they don't stop treatments. I am officially 1/3 of the way done as of today!!! Feels like something to celebrate. Glad to have 2 days off. 

Thanl you all for everything. It helps me so much. The supports groups at my oncologist have all been canceled due to covid. What a crazy time. 

Oh yeah and crazy dreams!!!!! Talking to my husband about some tests i have to take but i can't remember what it is called? And i am sitting up, awake. No idea later what i was talking about. But it seems so real at the time. 

Thanks i will ask her about the magnesium.

Hi Keeley- so glad to hear you are about to start. Hoping for the best for you. I really think i am doing pretty good. I still have an appetite. For the most part. Super tired in the afternoons. Feel great by the weekend. Are you going to be able to take off work? I am thankful i am on disability. With the flu running rampant and covid craziness i couldn't be at my job. I work in wine sales for an upscale grocery store. CRAZY!!  I don't get notifications about replies on here. I will see if i can fix that. But please feel free to send a direct message any time. Good luck this week. Oh and put some hard candies in your purse! Lol 

1/3 done! I keep meaning to print a calendar. Maybe tomorrow! Thank you. Reading your journals has been great. Thank you for sharing. 

Oh my so many fluids on chemo day. I have to get up about 5 times during treatment. 

But i don't stop, just keep drinking. 

Maria- firts off congratulations. 

Also thank you. The ondansetron has helped. I was trying not to over medicate. But that is why they give us the pills right. To take them. To stop the nausea. Rougher this week but i think it has to do with the 12 rads. And the chemo. And sedentary (used to go go go) feeling great today. 

Great to hear your feeling better Stacy, so sorry you have to go to treatments alone , I can't imagine what you ladies who are going through treatment right now must be feeling, but we are here for you if you need any help or have questions. I don't remember having any crazy dreams, but I had horrible brain fog I couldn't remember much. I would walk into a room and forget what I went in there for.