Extra radiotherapy?

Unfortunately just before i started treatment I had a severe sexual assault, obviously with the treatment starting I haven’t really had any time to process. My oncologist is very worried and reluctant for me to have brachytherapy at the end of my radiotherapy, she thinks it will be too traumatic and could lead to PTSD. She thinks it would be preferable under the circumstances for me to carry on the EBRT for another 2 weeks instead.

Is it likely to be as effective? I can’t find any resources comparing BT with extended EBRT. I suspect the brachytherapy would be more effective, but I agree with her in that I am going to find it very traumatic.

I don’t know what to do :frowning:

Suki

I’m sorry you are going through this, Suki.

In my opinion, the whole cancer diagnosis and treatment is traumatizing, so you might as well get the best/most effective treatment available to you.

I’m not a doctor, but my understanding is that Brachytherapy directly targets the affected tissue much better than EBRT. Confirm this with your doctor before you make a decision.

And, is there a social worker/counselor you can speak to to understand your risk for further PTSD?

No counsellor or social worker, I was told I could go to the Macmillan drop-in centre, haven’t really had a chance to do that yet because I’ve been stuck on a ward. Brachytherapy is very targeted and I know that would be the best treatment, but the trauma of the attack is still very fresh :frowning: I’m unsure whether I could actually go through with it :frowning: