Estriol cream

Hi!

Has anyone been prescribed a ‘short course’ of Estriol cream? I was prescribed some the other day after a hysteroscopy, because of ‘dryness’ which I was unaware of and which hadn’t been causing me any problems. The leaflet with the cream points out lots of risks, and I am a bit concerned. It seems it is a type of HRT, which I was determined to avoid…

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have oestriol cream. If they think you need it you should have it. It's localised HRT not systemic. Vaginal atrophy is not a good thing to have as it leads to no end of problems and prevention much better than cure.

Karen 

2 Likes

Yes, I was prescribed the cream because my urethra was starting for feel atrophic and my vagina too. I am with Petesdragon this one, if they recommended it I would say it is in your interest to try it. It should help with elasticity too.

1 Like

Hi I have been on this gel a month now it has helped as I was having pain in sex and got very sore lots of urine infection and very dry and bleeding after sex. for over a year complained to doctors then last month she put me on the gel to try it has helped me a lot. As was thinking of stopping having sex as it got that bad now only use it twice a week.

1 Like

I have been prescribed with estriol cream (Ovestin) by my gynaeoncologist for ‘atrophic vulvovaginitis’; ‘down there’ has improved a lot and I have been advised I should use it ‘going forward’ i.e. for life.

I’ve done a lot of reading around the subject of vaginal atrophy because I have to understand that it has caused me a heap of problems in my life. I consider it was a significant reason for me stopping attending smear tests age 50y because speculum insertion had become excrutiatingly painful; sadly i was diagnosed with stage 2 cervical cancer age 60y - see my back story.

From what I’ve read, estriol cream is very safe and is about the equivalent of 2 HRT tablets a year; my understanding is that the information on the leaflet is out of date and not very relevant to topically applied cream. After all, as I said, my gyaneonc has advised me I can use it for the rest of my life.

x

1 Like

Hi jazz That’s what my doctor said I have atrophic vulvovaginitis’ it made me feel like my vagina was getting tighter and drier pity my doctor didn’t understand what was happening to me until i started bleeding after sex to proscribe the cream and will be like you needing it forever.

1 Like

Hi Queen

It was only when I told my gynaecologist that I was getting pain and bleeding that I was prescribed with Ovestin.

There were indications 15 years ago that vulvovaginal atrophy was causing problems for me and yet, despite several doctor’s appointments for various genito-urinary issues (before and after my cc diagnosis), at no point was oestrogen cream offered until very recently - not even by the GP who told me I had vaginal atrophy about 10 years ago!!!

Ironically I first learnt about oestrogen cream from one of the staff at a cancer support centre!

x

2 Likes