Emotions and anxiety after Trachalectomy

Hi, 

Not too sure where to start with this, it is all a bit new to me. I'm 24 and was diagnosed with 1B1 Cervical cancer. I have now had my Trachalectomy and waiting on the final result. The surgeons said it went well but they had to wait for the final result. Now everything has calmed down a bit the worry has started to set in about it coming back and if I have to have further treatment which means I can't have kids.

I also wondered if the HPV injection would be a good option as I am still in the age range. Has anyone else had this?  Does anyone know what causes the reoccurnace is it the virus coming back? Are there any other reasons? 

Also any tips for getting this overwhelming thoughts into prospective. 

Amy

Oh honey, sending you big ((((hugs)))))

i am a step behind you, 1b1, still waiting for treatment. I think I can cope, just, with the treatment, but like you it is the thought of recurrance that is completely freaking me out. I have asked my oncologist about it, and about HPV, and he was a bit dismissive. Like, yeah, presumably it was caused by HPV so we won't bother checking, and it'll be gone after surgery! Well, not according to what I'm reading! There seem to be many people who have treatment and then remain all clear, but also many who have further problems in different places. It makes me very cross that despite the fact that knowledge of HPV is still developing, we are not all being tested and followed up carefully. If my cancer has been caused by HPV, why did it lie dormant for so long and then cause problems? Surely they should be finding out!? Cos I can't seem to find the answer!

sorry, I've totally ranted here. But I feel just the way you do. I don't think the answers they can give us at the minute are enough. 

If I were you, I would def have the jab if I could. It couldn't do any harm, and in fact I'm sure I've read somewhere that it's still beneficial even after previous infection. Besides that, I think once we've been in this stormy boat, we've just got to learn from it and put ourselves and our health first. Read the book 'anti cancer', I have found it so useful and positive.

stay strong, you have your whole life ahead of you.

Molly xxxxxxx

Thank you for replying i'm glad i'm not the only one freaking out over this.

I hope this could help you out a little but:  From the reasearch i've done (probably a bit too much so i scare myself) it looks as though if everything goes to plan for stage 1B! the cure rate is between 80 and 90% thats from cancer research website. Also from a less reliable source (a US study) says that reoccurence rate is simular to a hystorectomy and say 4% but as I said I wouldn't trust that one as much and of course everyone is different. The Royal Marsden have some good information and studies on a Trachalectomy if you want some more info.

I agree with everything you are saying about reseach and stuff we need help though this and, if you are like me, you like facts haha. 

Also my boyfriend wrote  on a forum on trachalectomys called trachalectomy's stories please  (on the treatment topic page thing, which goes in detail about everything I have been though including some post op stuff (it is the long essay) if you have any worries it's worth a read, I couldn't have done it better myself. Also any questions, please ask i'm pretty open about the nitty gritty as I feel people should know what to expect as much as possible i hate going into the unknown as I'm sure most people are. 

Hope everrything goes well with your surgery and results. Thank you so much for helping me see i'm not the only one thinking this!!

p.s sorry for spelling errors i think quicker then I type

Amy

Thank you for replying i'm glad i'm not the only one freaking out over this.

I hope this could help you out a little but:  From the reasearch i've done (probably a bit too much so i scare myself) it looks as though if everything goes to plan for stage 1B! the cure rate is between 80 and 90% thats from cancer research website. Also from a less reliable source (a US study) says that reoccurence rate is simular to a hystorectomy and say 4% but as I said I wouldn't trust that one as much and of course everyone is different. The Royal Marsden have some good information and studies on a Trachalectomy if you want some more info.

I agree with everything you are saying about reseach and stuff we need help though this and, if you are like me, you like facts haha. 

Also my boyfriend wrote  on a forum on trachalectomys called trachalectomy's stories please  (on the treatment topic page thing, which goes in detail about everything I have been though including some post op stuff (it is the long essay) if you have any worries it's worth a read, I couldn't have done it better myself. Also any questions, please ask i'm pretty open about the nitty gritty as I feel people should know what to expect as much as possible i hate going into the unknown as I'm sure most people are. 

Hope everrything goes well with your surgery and results. Thank you so much for helping me see i'm not the only one thinking this!!

Amy

Hi Ladies,

Please try not to get hung up on statistics they don't take so many things into

consideration;age,previous illness,general fitness etc.I know its hard,but try and put

all your energy into what's happening to you at the moment.Nobody can predict the

future and it's wasted energy to even try.

Trust in the fact that whatever needs to be done for you at the time will be done.

When you feel bad look forward to the times when you will feel better and when

you feel good embrace it.

Live for the moment.Plan some wonderful things to take your mind off it(trust me it works)

I hope that everything works out well for you.

Take care

Becky x

Hi Amy,

We all quietly freak out about it coming back and there is no shortage of women here who appear calm even though it has come back.

Statistics about survival rates are telling you only what percentage of women are still alive after 5 years but they are not telling you that they died from cancer. Some were 97 years old and were going to die of old age anyway, some were killed in road accidents, some moved to another country.

If you are only 24 and look both ways before you cross the road I am quite sure you will be fine. ;-)

Go well

Tivoli