Early menopause after Cervical Cancer

Hi I am 36 years old and was diagnosed with stage 2b cc back in 2012 when I was 25. I had chemo, radio and brachy and entered menopause as a result. I was on a combined contraceptive pill to manage my oestrogen and progestogen and took that every day until yesterday. I asked my nurse to review as I felt after 11 years something wasnt right amd it needed reviewing. Blood tests showed my oestrogen levels were extremely low so I had to immediately start taking 2mg/1mg of elleste duet which I started this morning. I was only told yesterday that I needed to start on HRT immediately so have a lot of anxiety about this very recent change. I have been referred to our hospital menopause clinic and am having a bone scan. Im really nervous and struggling to process such a quick change. There have been lots of challenges post cc and we have been going through surrogacy for the last 5 years with sadly no luck but this change has really hit me. I have taken everything else as it came but I feel really lonely and scared moving on to HRT. I know hundreds of women do every day but again it feels so unfair and very unknown territory. What should I expect for my body?

1 Like

Hey Annie , I’m on the combo birth control pill too, I’m 37 & was diagnosed at33.I’ve been on it for a little over 2 years. I had a estrogen test awhile back & mine was super low as well. Think I’ll ask about maybe something stronger too. From what I hear hrt is pretty much the same thing we’re doing, because for us the bc pill was a form of hrt. But your hrt will just be a little stronger. & I wish you so much luck with the surrogacy, I lost my fertility before kids too& it’s tough.

1 Like

Hi Annie

I had my ovaries removed 2 years, woke up in the hospital and was already on HRT. I already had a hysterectomy 6 months previous so only need estrogen. I was originally on 25 patches but after many blood tests showing my levels were still low I’m on the 100 dose. I know its not for everyone, but I don’t notice any difference now in myself than I was before cancer. I think the HRT has helped me massively.
X

1 Like

It’s understandable to feel anxious and scared about the recent change in your medication, but it’s important to remember that you are taking steps to manage your health and wellbeing. Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) can help manage symptoms of menopause and protect against osteoporosis, which is a common concern for women who have undergone cancer treatment.

It’s difficult to predict exactly how your body will respond to HRT, as everyone’s experience is unique. However, your healthcare team will monitor your progress and adjust your medication as needed. Common side effects of HRT can include hot flashes, mood changes, vaginal dryness, and headaches. It’s important to report any symptoms or concerns to your healthcare provider, as they can help you manage these side effects.

In terms of your bone health, a bone scan is a good idea to assess for any potential loss of bone density due to the menopause and the cancer treatments you underwent. Your healthcare provider will be able to interpret the results of the scan and provide recommendations for managing bone health.

It’s important to remember that you are not alone in this experience. There are many resources available for women going through menopause and HRT, including support groups, educational materials, and healthcare professionals who specialize in menopause management. It’s important to reach out for support and to stay informed about your options for managing your health and wellbeing.

1 Like