Dilator and sexual intercourse

Hi Ladies,

I diagnosed with CC 2b and I completed the treatment 6 months ago. I am using the bigger size dilator 3 times per week and following the treatment I tried to start having sex with my partner. I thought that since I am using the larger dilator I will not have any anatomic issues during the intercourse. However, i feel that it is so tight down there that it makes it very difficult to have any kind of penetration and also it is very uncomfortable. Also I think that I have PTSD pre treatment as I was bleeding a lot during sex and now I am afraid that I will start bleeding again which makes me very anxious. Please could you let me know how long it took you post treatment to have sexual intercourse and give me some reassurance that it will be fine afterwards?  I know that I should be glad that I completed treatment but I am only 34 years old and I cannot imagine not having sex for the rest of my life. 

I had a very similar experience. I would recommend a physical therapist if you have that option. They help a lot. Also, make sure you're not just putting the dialator in and leaving it there. You need to twist it around and push it in and out - to cause some healthy trauma and 'toughen up' your cervix. If you go from a dialator just sitting there to sex it can be rough. I bled so much trying to have sex after treatment it looked like a crime scene! I also use vaginal estrogen pills and that helped as well as it makes the skin less likely to break and bleed. 
And go slow. Try intercourse for a bit. Use lots of lube. Stop when you feel like you've had enough. It took me about 1.5 years before the bleeding stopped and another year after that before sex wasn't painful. But I didn't start trying to deal with these issues until more than a year after treatment as I thought they'd go away on their own. 
Good luck, and feel free to message me if you want to talk more!

Hi Maria

It seems Slicknic has given you some really practical advice. 

Hopefully some of these options can assist. I cannot offer any advice but just wanted to offer some support as I am also 34 and hear what you are saying :)

xx

Hello Slicknic,

Since I’m about to start the dilators, and I already know that it’s so tight down there as I just had my first internal exam after treatment and it did hurt and I bled a little. Now I’m dreading to start with the dilators but at the same time I know I really need to do it. What vaginal estrogen are you using?Should I expect pain using the dilators or bleeding? Just wanted to know what to expect so I won’t panic in case it happens. xx

The dilators are so scary. I had to have a pep talk before using mine “You did so much worse for your treatment, you CAN do this!” It hurt at first, but not unbearably so. I bought a red towel to do it on in case I bled. Which I did at first. Less blood than a pelvic exam though!
I used the pill version of the vaginal estrogen. It has an applicator the size of a straw and I’d slather it in lube before inserting.