Diet & metastasis prevention

I thought I should share this research from last month in case anyone find it useful.

In a nutshell, palmitic acid promote cancer metastasis.

I was shocked in see how common this acid (in its various names) is in our food (including bread, instant noodles), lotions, shampoo/conditioner and cleaning products. I have eliminated them straight away last week, my itchy skin for no reason mostly gone. I think it might have contributed to LVSI according to “soil & seeds” theory. For those in the UK, guardian has been publishing articles about it too last months. I did dig into research paper on it, and I feel it’s worth the caution.

Sharing here in case anyone else watching diet to promote maximum recovery.

Xx

https://www.worldwidecancerresearch.org/news-opinion/2021/november/how-dietary-fats-help-cancer-to-spread-around-the-body/

3 Likes

Very interesting - the types of cancer they were examining were mouth and skin cancer, where palmitic acid (which occurs not only in palm oil but other oils too, as well as in butter) did not cause cancer but could be implicated in the metastatising of the cancer. However it’s interesting that the same researchers also state:
“The effects of FAs (fatty acids) may differ, depending on tumor type. For instance, in this study, oleic acid inhibited the spread of both mouth and skin cancers, but previous studies found that it promoted cervical cancers.” - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30213558/

Oleic acid is the primary fatty acid in olive oil, amongst other things. So olive oil MAY promote heart health but increase the likelihood of cervical cancer…

3 Likes

Great addition and link on olive oil. Cos I had very small volume of cancer, but a lot of LVSI. Whilst many people having large tumour with no LVSI. Which made me question what flows in my blood that gives cancer a leg up and out… IT’s obviously something I eat, use or drink that just provide what they needed to immigrate… I wish there are more research based, evidence based (even in mice better than nothing) on diet.

I read a research on blueberry exact promoting cancer apoptosis in high concentration, but exacerbate cancer grow in small dosage.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28963664/

I will look to find a proper space to put all those research links together to help more of us.

Xx

1 Like

Yes, the thing is that our bodies are a living organism and so is cancer - there are predisposing factors to things going wrong in the body (like the HPV virus, for example) but also the conditions need to be right for the cancer to grow… like a parasite, in some ways - the alien within.

2 Likes

I can totally empathise with the quest to understand why we succumbed to cervical cancer in the first place and thereafter what might influence whether or not we end up with metastases.

I have pondered on possibility that it’s down to genetics albeit I could believe the latter may be influenced by external factors such as diet. Ironically, for many years prior to my diagnosis I ate little convenience food and had a varied and balanced whole food diet - even made made my own bread; plus I have never smoked, never been on an oral contraceptive and not had multiple pregnancies which are all recognised as risk factors for cc. I had LVSI and PNI!

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/218633/genes-associated-with-increased-risk-cervical/

x

4 Likes

@Jacks133, my cancer oncologist told me that the mouth and vagina cervix epithelium are of one genetic makeup/Same kind of tissue. Thus why HPV cause throat/mouth/neck cancer.

Great topic! I think there’s truth to this.

After having a 2nd recurrence in 2020 that had become stage 4 - to lungs and abdominal wall and also vaginal cuff, I started taking an anti-cancer protocol of 4 off-label drugs that includes Atorvastatin. I think this targets the lipid pathway. I also kept my diet low in fat. I’d eat some nuts and use very little oil when cooking. I also don’t eat meat, only fish.

Together with 6 rounds of Taxol/Carboplatin/Avastin, I’m now 18 months NED since chemo ended. I’ve had 4 PET Scans since. Mind you my onc had written on my report in Feb 2020 that I had “at least one year”. And prognosis for metastatic recurrent cervical Cancer is 17%. This was my 2nd recurrence just 6 months after finishing radiation and getting a clear PET scan in 2019. And the 1st recurrence was just 4 months after my radical hysterectomy for stage 1b. I had Adenocarcinoma.

I believe that going back to a “normal” diet that included some fats like ice cream, chocolate, cookies etc, may have been a factor in my having metastasis. This reminds me to be vigilant coz I noticed I’ve started indulging in those things again.

I’m still taking my anti-cancer off label drugs but the statin is a lower dose now. The other drugs if anyone is curious are Metformin, Mebendazole, Doxycycline, Loratadine, plus the Atorvastatin. I definitely believe that diet matters. I’m still on a low fat plant based diet, mostly whole foods. No dairy, no meat, no eggs, and very little added sugar or sweets.

5 Likes

Congrats on 18 months NED - Amazing! I feel learning about diet and our body help giving me a little more control of the cancer. It raised from within our body via a weakness, if we find their weakness we can defeat them. It’s a scientific discovery journey.

Keep well @Jjww, have an fabulous Xmas and NY. Xx

1 Like

Great to hear that you’re doing so well post recurrence! I’ve finished my carbo/taxol/avastin cycles for lung mets and on avastin only for now. I’m interested to hear about your dietary changes and off-label drugs. Is this the Care Oncology protocol? Are you in the UK?
Rx

1 Like

Hi @RobCat1, Thank you and I hope you’re doing well on Avastin. How long will you be on it? They didn’t put me on it after my six cycles. In fact, I was supposed to continue for 3 more cycles of chemo after cycle 6 but I was feeling so weak, anemic, down to 106 lbs that I felt as though I’d end up in hospital and then go downhill. So I asked my Onc if I can take a break and recover a bit, and wait to see if I’m still clear after 3 months. Luckily I was.

Sorry for the late reply. And Yes it’s the Care Oncology Protocol. I’m in the US, the original clinic is in the UK but they started a US one too. It’s all done by Telemedicine. They prescribe the meds and do quarterly checkups. As for the diet and the meds, they’re as listed on my post above. Let me know if you needed any details.

Jjww

1 Like

Hi,
I’m about to take the same cocktail of drugs you had. Can you tell me how it was and did you wear the cold cap or lose your hair ?

Many thanks
Jenny

Hi @Jenjun
Wish you all the best in your treatment!

I did not wear a cold cap. I figured I had a 12-18 month prognosis so my hair was my least concern. My hair started shedding 2 weeks after cycle 1, so I buzzed it all off.

I used ice on my hands and feet to limit/prevent neuropathy because I started feeling the tingling after cycle 1. I couldn’t stay on my feet for over 45 min without discomfort so they reduced the dosage of one of the chemos. Luckily I don’t have neuropathy now. I would use the ice the entire time I was getting the infusion.

I did not get a port so they started IVs every time, usually on my wrists or back of the hand. When my neutrophils started crashing after cycle 1 or 2, they started giving me a shot of Neulasta at the end of each cycle and that solved that problem. I didn’t get any bone pain likely because I was taking Loratadine as part of the Care Oncology meds I was taking on the side.

The worst part was the fatigue and also anemia and weight loss toward the end. I also fasted the day before, during and after chemo day. This supposedly starves the cancer cells and makes them more vulnerable to chemo and easier to kill. So I was super weak during those 3 days. Given how aggressive my cancer was, I had to do whatever I needed to do so it didn’t come back again. Fingers crossed!

Good luck!

3 Likes

My goodness JJWW,

How are you now? It sounds like a nightmare but the important thing for you is that the treatment is successful. Xx

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks so much for your reply. I had cervical cancer 30 years ago and had a hysterectomy and radiotherapy but recently found a small lump so got it investigated and turned out to be a recurrence. Fortunately it was in a place that was completely removable but one of the edges didn’t have a clear margins it was right up to my pubis bone hence the chemo. My lymph nodes were clear. Because I had radiotherapy I can’t have it again which is why I’m having the chemo. I’m now 58. They were choosing to either monitor me closely without treatment or chemo but they decided on the chemo. I’m at UCLH cancer centre in London.
How are you doing now ?
Regards
Jenny

My goodness, Jenny - 30 years later!! I too am at UCLH - glad they decided to do the chemo and not leave it to chance. Xx

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I am on Avastin for as long as it works or the side effects are manageable. So far the only thing I experience is some hoarseness and sore throat.
I follow a very similar diet to you although maybe with some more fats (olive oil, avocado oil). I was already pescatarian and had very little dairy. I have cut that out completely now and try to keep any carbs to occasional grains. Lots of vegetables & nuts and I only drink water and green tea. Sometimes I really crave a coffee!
I have read about some of the COC drugs and have asked my consultant about them. They are familiar with research into statins and a couple of the others but there are not the large trials to support one way or another. He was not completely dismissive though which I know many are! What do your medical team say about it? Do you suffer from any side-effects?
Rx

I just wanted to say hi and sorry you find yourself back in this situation. It must have been a huge shock after such a long time.
I’ve also recently finished carbo/taxol/avastin cycles for lung mets. I did not feel too bad on the whole other than fatigue and some tingling in the toes. This wore off after the first week or so. For the remaining 2 weeks between cycles I felt mostly good and kept active and working. My neutrophils became extremely low between cycles which meant I needed the injections to boost my bone marrow (filgrastim). It caused a couple of delays to cycles though. I used the cold cap throughout but still lost most of my hair. Not all of it however - I kept a thin covering all over. Results vary. I had long thick curly hair previously and it started to come out after 2-3 weeks. That bit itself wasn’t easy but I got a wig before it started to happen and became quickly used to it. It’s growing back now.
Are you aware of the Living with Advanced Cancer section of this forum? It’s private and you will find many wonderful ladies on there who have gone through the same treatment and will happily offer lots of advice and support.
Robin x

1 Like

Hi @Jacks133 I’m doing great thanks! Hope you are as well. As per my earlier post, I’m now 18 months NED (No Evidence of Disease) as evidenced by 4 PET scans, last one was in August 2021. I think what is helping is the off-label drugs I’m taking that target cancer’s metabolic pathways and targets the cancer stem cells to prevent metastasis.

Hi @RobCat1 sounds like you’re on a good path on all fronts!

I did inform my oncologist about the drugs I’m taking. I’m being treated at MD Anderson in Houston (they were my 2nd opinion after my initial surgery in 2018). They had done the chemo-radiation treatment for recurrence #1, which ended in May 2019, got a clear PET/CT in Aug 2019, clear pelvic exam in Nov 2019. Then I insisted on a scan for the Feb 2020 which they did, and found the stage 4 metastasis (vaginal cuff, abdominal wall and lungs) which was recurrence #2.

During 2019 radiation, they’d told me not to take any supplements, antioxidants, vitamin c IV etc, so as not to counteract the treatment. They were only ok with a multivitamin, Vit B complex, Vit D and Melatonin. I did exactly that.

So when I had the recurrence #2 in 2020, I told him given my dire prognosis of <20%, that this time, I would do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING I deemed necessary and I that was just letting them know upfront. He said ok in that case, talk to the pharmacist and run it by them to discuss any potential contraindications.

Pharmacist said there was no contraindication on 3 of the meds. The only one she advised me against was Mebendazole. She said she knows some patients on it whose liver enzymes became abnormally high. When I asked my COC oncologist about this she said that’s not their experience and that the Statin is the one more likely to cause that. In any case, I decided all I have to do is monitor my labs closely, since I got them taken every 3 weeks on chemo day. To this day, my liver enzymes have been normal.

Bottom line is, I didn’t expect or need my medical oncologist at MD Anderson to endorse or approve my plan, his obligation is to treat me according to the “standard of care”. They were my primary care team and then I had the COC oncology team as my secondary team for the “alternative” stuff.

The funny thing is after 6 chemo cycles and a NED PET/CT (Aug 2020), I refused to do the recommended 3 more cycles immediately after, (oncologist wanted 2 clear PET/CTs before stopping chemo) and I asked to get a 3 month break to recover. Dr said ok. Then we did a PET/CT in Nov 2020 which was also NED!! So at this point I told my oncologist, hey you know I’m still taking the COC off-label meds, what d’you think, should I stop? He said “DON’T CHANGE ANYTHING”. I had also stopped taking the Estrogen supplement and vaginal cream Premarin, in Feb 2020, with the paranoia that it contributed to my recurrence. I asked him if I should get back on it, he said no, just keep doing what you’re doing.

He jokes with me and told me one time “so what are we going to do next? seems you’re the one telling us what to do”. haha…that’s not entirely true, but I do know how to advocate for myself and insist on tests and scans even when it’s not “routine”. I figure I’m just a patient number, if I don’t look after myself, no one will. Especially considering I don’t/didn’t have the kind of family support that is crucial during such a crisis.

4 Likes

@Jjww amazing! This sounds like something I should do too if it works for you. In Uk, there isn’t anything like this… could u help explain what each medicine is working at? Xx