Diagnosed with cc on Monday

Hi everyone so I’ve been diagnosed with cc on Monday I am in shock I have my petscan next week and I will know more I’ve been told I have a choice between radical hysterectomy or radiotheraphy if petscan show lymph node involvement then just radiotheraphy looking for advice what you guys choose surgery or radiotheraphy it’s all very overwhelming I know the choice of surgery might be took away from me after petscan but they want me to have my choice made in case also anyone who been through both how were you after surgery and after during radiotheraphy sorry for so much question

Hi jo, although I wasn’t offered a choice in my treatment I didn’t want to just read your post and not comment.

So firstly I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, this stage of waiting for results and scans is very tricky I really struggled emotionally.

I had 18 weeks of chemo, then the standard chemo radiotherapy I ended treatment on the 28th January this year. My medical team were concerned about how I would manage radiotherapy due to me having abscesses on my ovaries and I have Crohn’s disease. However I completed treatment, and managed quiet well. I didn’t have any issues with my bowels as I know many others did, I was tired and found treatment tiring towards the middle - end, I also suffered with radiation burns inside my vagina which were uncomfortable but I managed and they cleared up around 7 days after treatment ended.

If you have any questions I’ll happily answer what I can xxx

JoHopkins,

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis - and not easy to have to choose between treatments - after all, they are the paid up medical experts, not you! I am surprised though if they’re not offering chemotherapy alongside the radiotherapy if it has spread, because this is the gold standard, even for people with other health conditions, like Leahlouise. I hope the results of the scan will not take too long and that you’ll be able to ask questions about the treatments that will help you to think what you would prefer, if there is a choice. X

Thanks you for your replies I really appreciate :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m sure my consultant said either radical or radiotheraphy maybe in the shock of it all I picked him up wrong I will be meeting with him after my petscan so I can confirm everything then the wait is awful so many mixed emotions and I have awful back and pelvic pain especially at night and bleeding which making me think the worst :cry:

I would really try not to fear that due to your symptoms it is an indicator of stage of cancer. I’ve heard of different people having different symptoms all at different stages some people with advanced cancer with no symptoms at all. I found at this stage I was experiencing all sorts of crazy pains mainly chest pains and pains near my kidney and liver so I convinced myself there was spread! There wasn’t your mind can be a powerful thing abs you will be more aware of every twinge at this time.

I would have guessed your consultant will have meant depending on stage your treatment will be surgery or chemotherapy/ radiotherapy. These are the usual routes for cervical cancer. Although my treatment was a little different owing to my medical history!

Sending love xxx

1 Like