CT Scan 1 year after Rad Hys - results

hi all

quick question.

For results of CT scans are you usually called back to see the consultant even if everything is ok?

at my 1 year check up - all was fine and i was about to go out the door when i mentioned to the consultant (not my usual one) that i have an ache in my right hip and sharp/shooting pains every now and then. so he said lets send you for a CT scan and then discuss it at the MDT.

Appt was 2 weeks ago and i have received a letter to see my original consultant (surgeon) next week with of course no mention of why!

I'm not sure what I was expecting, maybe a letter to my gp.

Anyways it shows that this never leaves you, sitting/waiting with my heart in my mouth and of course expecting the worse.

pat

xx

Hi Pat

So sorry you are having to go through this.  It was a year ago on Wednesday that I had my Rad Hyst so I'm not far behind you.  I have a MRI booked for November and then will be seeing my consultant in December, a couple of weeks later.

I still get occasional sharp shooting pains too but was told by my consultant that it will take up to 2 years to heal internally.

I'm guessing that it would be normal procedure to see the consultant after a scan but you could always phone your CNS to see what they say.  I just think that your consultant would want to follow it up after you had mentioned the pains.  

You are so right, it never does leave you but hopefully it will get better with time.  Good luck, will be thinking of you - let us know how you get on.

Hugs, Cheryl,xx

Hi Pat

I’ve had a few scans now and I’ve always had to make an appointment to get the results, good or bad (I’ve had both!) I don’t think it indicates anything bad although I feel your pain with all the worry! I think it’s just standard procedure.

Good luck though, I hope the waiting isn’t too bad for you.

Love Ali x

thanks ladies for the replies.

could be nothing could be something.

will keep you posted as to what he says.

kind of put a damper on the weekend tho..

Hi all,

Ali must be right, surely. If there was one procedure for good news and a different procedure for bad news then we would all know when we were expecting bad news, right? Nobody's going to send you a letter asking you to come and see them in a few days if that can only be taken to mean "We want to give you some bad news in a few days but we want you to sweat it out first" Nobody is that cruel!

Be lucky

Tivoli

Great point Tivoli!

im going to try to remember that!

molly xxx

Hi pat, hi pat, im sure they just want to give you the results in person and discuss how to manage the pain. I get aches and pains in my hips and lower back, it never goes away, the worry, but I hope it is all fine. At least you don't have too long to wait. im sending you a big hug......(((())))

karen c

Hi pat, hi pat, im sure they just want to give you the results in person and discuss how to manage the pain. I get aches and pains in my hips and lower back, it never goes away, the worry, but I hope it is all fine. At least you don't have too long to wait. im sending you a big hug......(((())))

karen c

Hello Pat,  

I've been having hip pain for the past 6 or 7  weeks now during which time my regular physical check up with the Oncologist came up.  That appointment was at the start of September.  I mentioned it to her and she sent me for an xray there and then, strangely she also asked them to xray my chest? I'd had a CT scan of chest/abdo/pelvis at the end of July and to put it in their words - it was 'satisfactory'.   She said that radiotherapy can cause fractures in the pelvis, and she also referred me for a more detailed Dexa scan which looks at the bone density, it isn't due until end of  this month.  I've not had results yet from first xray and I'm getting worried as we all do - every little niggle and all that.  If it is a fracture, I can deal with that, I'm more worried about it being more sinister.  I'm hobbling about  and don't know if I should rest it or exercise it - It's very painful with every step, even if I sneeze I feel it.  I should probably have a walking stick to help me.

As for having  appointments for results, it may vary from hospital to hospital, on the occasions that I've had follow-up CT scans, 3 of them now following the end of treatment, and each time I have had the results posted out to me.  Hope for the best.

Regards

Sharon

thanks all for your comments.

well after completely freaking out i phoned the consultants secretary on friday and she informed me that they call you in to see them after an mri/ct scan due to my history.  she then also whispered to me that everything was ok.  so after a hellish 14 hours i could breathe out........... and relax

saw the consultant today and he informed me that i should have gotten a letter to say everything was ok, apologised for stress they caused me.  

so essentially a victim of admin here!

when i asked what the pain was, as others have stated it's probably bowel/colon related as things are still settling down in there. love the medical terms.

still i have gotten myself referred to the menopause clinic in my area as i feel it would be beneficial for me to be in their care.

thanks again for your answers and support.

what this did show me is that my coping strategys where C is concerned are practically still non-existent.

Hi Pat,

So pleased for you.

Best wishes for the future

Becky x

Hi Pat

So, so pleased that you have got a clear result.  What relief you must have felt after what you have been through recently.  Would perhaps counselling help where the coping strategys are concerned?  Goodness knows how I'd cope too in the same situation.

Keeping everything crossed that it all goes well for you now.

Hugs

Cheryl,xx

Glad all is well! Always good to hear good news!!

dons xxx

we try not to worry.... Try... !