Critical Illness cover

Anyone work in insurance or have any experience of claiming, that I could message please?

05/15 Abnormal smear High grade CGIN found

05/15 Colposcopy and punch biopsies. CIN 1 found also but no CGIN. 

06/15 Second smear HG CGIN found again

07/15 Colposcopy CIN 1 found again.

07/15 Lletz cone under GA - HG CGIN, CIN 1 and 1a1 Adenocarcinoma found.

08/15 Hospitalised for excessive bleeding

09/15 - Second operation, cone knife under GA - no cancer or CGIN found

Hi

Yes and yes! I have claimed on my critical illness cover and I also sell it as I’m a mortgage adviser.

I don’t come on here very often but feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Ali

I have claimed CI and know the process, if that helps? However each insurance company, is different in what it deems as worth a payout. 

Hi Sylvia

Do you mind me asking who you are with?

And what is stage your cancer was?

Any insights into your process will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

05/15 Abnormal smear High grade CGIN found

05/15 Colposcopy and punch biopsies. CIN 1 found also but no CGIN. 

06/15 Second smear HG CGIN found again

07/15 Colposcopy CIN 1 found again.

07/15 Lletz cone under GA - HG CGIN, CIN 1 and 1a1 Adenocarcinoma found.

08/15 Hospitalised for excessive bleeding

09/15 - Second operation, cone knife under GA - no cancer or CGIN found

Hi

No worries, I’ll try and answer but I do sell the cover rather than underwrite it/deal within claims so my knowledge is a bit limited!

My policy was with L&G and they look for the term ‘invasive’ so you can’t claim for CIN but as soon as its invasive, is actually cancer, you can. Obviously each policy is different and 1a1 is very early (that’s a good thing!) so you would need to check. They will write to your consultant to confirm your diagnosis and may also check your medical records. My policy took about 8 weeks to pay, but I’d only had it about a year so I think they did some extra checks because of that.
Your address change shouldn’t matter at all, most modern policies are linked to you, not a mortgage of house, even if it was set up to cover a mortgage. I spent some of my money on a new kitchen and a trip to Lapland!

It also shouldn’t matter that you are now clear of cancer, critical illness cover should be paid if you had the diagnoses and hopefully most people do then go on to be all clear.

But like I say, each policy is different so well worth checking with them.

Hope that helps a bit.

Take care
Ali

Thanks Ali

That is really helpful. I am just glad I am on the road to recovery now but I'll give it a go because I've got nothing to lose.

I don't expect they'll give me anything but I'll keep you updated.

Thank you so much again.

Vets

Hi Vets

I was recently diagnosed with stage 1b1 CIN3 but as previously mentioned, when i contacted the insurance company's they both said so long as the work invasive is mentioned then they pay out regardless of what stage you are at.

I had 2 policies and both were very different to deal with. Aviva were amazing. I had full payment within 9 days of making the call. Scottish Provident were not so quick but still only took about 4 weeks. 

Your address doesn't matter so long as you have been paying your premiums.

Get claiming! You deserve it!

Sharon

Hi Vets,

Am no expert but have claimed insurance from Scottish Provident, they were slow and did do some extra ( and nerve-wracking for me) following up with my GP and consultant as I had put an inconsistency about smoking on my claim form.

Your address makes no difference - I didn't even have original paperwork.

I told consultand we would be claiming they were happy to receive forms and said yes it is invasive - my staging was never made clear but think it was probably 1b1. The consultants are experienced at this so do contact them about it, they like to help I think.

if you feel you have a concern over the way the insurance company are treating you (or even just the speed of paying out) google 'financial ombudsman critical illness' and have a read, then mention them to your insurance company - I was about to do this but whenI called they said they would pay.

i also googled 'solicitor critical illness' and got some helpful tips from solicitors, who kindly gave me advice about my claim at the point where the insureNce company had a query.

I was clear of cancer at the time of my claim, the insurance is not dependant on you being horribly affected but on your cancer having fitted the criteria.

GOod luck!

Hi

i have recently been diagnosed with CGIN at high grade. I have had an MRI and luckily it has gone no further however they are going to undertake a cone biopsy to see if they can remove it if not it will mist likely be a hysterectomy. I have a critical illness policy and I am wondering if it is worth attempting to make a claim.

thanks 

Hi Hayleyc, I have stumbled on these posts by chance and I too would be interested to know any further information. I have recently had a hysterectomy due to high grade CGIN, histology results showed it was also in the neck of my womb. I am in the process of moving and have been refused life insurance due to this situation, they are investigating but i have been told pretty much that due to me needing follow up vault smears I will probably be refused until these have been completed. I then started to wonder if I should have made a claim on my existing critical illness policy. Although from what I have read it seems unlikely that I would get any money it seems unfair that it isn't covered and yet is a reason to refuse to insure on a new policy. The two are contradictory. i wonder if anyone else can advise us!

Please accept my apologies if this post is in the wrong forum.

Caroline

Hi I had Income protection insurance. They really stuffed me around and took 3 months to start paying. When they did they seriously underestimated my income and only fixed this retrospectively at 4 months. They paid me all up for 21 months which was a godsend considering I only took it out 3 months before diagnosis. Probably would have had to sell the house without it. I am a single Mum. Always have insurance now

Hi Jayneeeb, I am pleased to hear you got your payments sorted and they eventually paid you what they should, stuff like that is a worry you can do without. Have you had trouble getting life insurance since your diagnosis?

caroline

Hi Caroline I'd already had life insurance these last 5 years as I needed to provide for the children. It's an enormous relief. I'm waiting on a PET result now and if there is anything there I'm terminal and can claim the money now. So lots of trips os planned with the kids to make happy memories. 

Hi Jayneeb, all the best for your results, I really hope they are good for you. What an awful worrying time this must be for you. 

x

Thanks Carom. If it's not good I'll be writing an expletive laden post. Got to get it out somewhere. Jayne