Consultant very optimistic!

Hi, I found out yesterday I have early stage cervical cancer, and wanted to ask for others opinions as my consultant seemed overly optimistic.

I had a severe abnormal smear result, so went for a colposcopy and they did a loop biopsy the same day as the consultant said it was a very large area affected. I went back for my results yesterday and was told it was cancer and I have been sceduled for a cone biopsy on the 3rd June.

The consultant said he would take a larger area away with the cone biopsy and he was extremely confident that he would get it all and I would need no further treatment.

It just seems odd that a few weeks after being diagnosed I may have the all clear!

I said I would consent to a hysterectomy, if on the day of the cone biopsy it was alot worse than he expected, as I dident want to have another surgery and obiously wanted to get rid of the cancer ASAP. But he just kept telling me he was sure I wouldn't need a hysterectomy and I wouldn't need chemo or any other treatment either.

Has anybody had a similar experience?

Lisa :)

Hey Lisa,

Sorry you’ve had to have the diagnosis of CC. I hope you are doing ok.

Your consultant is right to be optimistic, if it’s early stage and the affected area is small enough then it can certainly be removed by a cone biopsy.

I’ve not had the same experience but there are others on the forum who have had the all clear after lletz or cone biopsy.

I’m sure it may feel like you need more drastic intervention as you’ve had a scary diagnosis, but CC can be removed this way if it’s caught early.

Best of luck with the procedure :slight_smile:

Xx

hi Lisa 

going through a similar thing at the moment although Im not as in the know as you, although your story gives me hope!

i was diagnosed 2 days ago. And awaiting an MRI to see if they have it all or if I need further treatment.... Did you have an MRI? that's where I am at the moment.. waiting! 

it seems odd to me also that I may have the all clear?! - hopefully! 

I Wish you all the best xx

Thankyou for the info and your support,

I haven't had an MRI or been asked to go for one, maybe they will send me for one after the cone biopsy?

I've found this forum helpful and it's good to know I'm not alone.

I get the impression that because I am 30 and don't have children yet they are reluctant to give me a hysterectomy even though I have asked for one.

I'm just hoping my results don't come back worse than expected from the cone biopsy and I've had to wait longer than neccessary for a hysterectomy.

Fingers crossed they will get it all this time round

Good luck with the MRI EmJess

x x x

_

Abnormal Smear 15/04/2013, Colposcopy & Lletz Procedure 30/04/2013, Diagnosed CC 15/05/2013, Cone Biopsy Sceduled for 03/06/2013

How did your cone biopsy go yesterday Lisa?
Hope you’re ok x

Thanks for thinking of me EmJess

The cone biopsy went well, my consultant said he did find more cancer but he managed to remove it all and a margin around it, so hopefully I may not need any further treatment! :)

However, I do have to wait 2 to 3 weeks for the results!

I asked about having an MRI and he said that not everyone needs one, but I may need to have one depending on the results of the cone biopsy, so I guess its just more waiting around now.

Did you get your MRI results???

Abnormal Smear 15/04/2013, Colposcopy & Lletz Procedure 30/04/2013, Diagnosed CC 15/05/2013, Cone Biopsy 03/06/2013

Hey Lisa,

Just wanted to say that’s a brilliant outcome! Fingers crossed that all be the end of your treatment xx

That’s great Lisa! :slight_smile: I hope that’s the end of all the treatment for you :slight_smile:
Haven’t had my full results yet… Won’t find out until Monday! More waiting for me too!!
But my nurse said there wasn’t anything worrying… So here’s hoping!

:slight_smile: xx

Thanks everyone, I'm trying to stay posititve :) x x

Abnormal Smear 15/04/2013, Colposcopy & Lletz Procedure 30/04/2013, Diagnosed CC 15/05/2013, Cone Biopsy 03/06/2013