Confused Lletz results

Hi all, 

my first post I hope it's the right place! 

background: smear test November 2020, thought they could see a polyp, referred for colposcopy. Smear results said hpv but no cin.

December 2020 was seen in hospital for said polyp but the said was actually a blocked folicle absolutely nothing to worry about but biopsies to be sure

Results came back as CIN2 and 3

had Lletz just 4 weeks ago after a delay due to moving. Called today to chase results. The lady read the letter to me it said that no CIN was present which was encouraging but now referred to MDT and would be contacted in due course.

I don't know if I should be worried. Surely CIN 3 can't just disappear in 3 months?! Perhaps they have missed the area?! Has anyone else had this? 
xx

Not able to say if CIN3 can just disappear but it all seems a bit odd.  I would try to speak to a Doctor about it all to clarify what is going and try not to worry .  

I don't have experience of this but I do know if there is a discrepancy with the results then it is automatically referred to the MDT who will look at everything very carefully and decide the next steps.

It sounds promising that there was no cin present in the sample but odd given the results of the biopsy.

Xx

Thank you both for your reply's, I did call back in couldn't get any explanations as to why the results may have been conflicting or what it might mean. They did say it would be heard at MDT next month and I'd be updated then.

How about getting a second opinion before proceeding to MDT? 

Hi Vics,

I'm not medically trained but I have spent a long time reading on this forum and have seen other cases where this has happened.

Some were given the news after MDT that the cells were upgraded as they were borderline and they'd rather be safe than sorry and get you in.

Other cases the CIN III was possibly just a very small area and the smear itself had prompted the body to fix the issue.

And in other cases the pathologist downgraded it after looking at it under a stronger microscope in more detail and using the special dyes they have to ensure they detect everything.

Xx

How would I go about that? X

Thanks for replying, that sounds reassuring x

Hi Vics

My experience isn't too dissimilar to yours. My smear came back as High Grade (Severe) Dyskaryosis which usually equates to CIN3+ & HPV positve. My Lletz came back (10mm removed & I had no biopsies just straight to Lletz) as only Cin 1! It has been agreed that my smear was graded up & my body perhaps started to heal itself after the smear. I have been reassured that nothing has been missed & I'm back for my 6 month test of cure smear in August. So although it's not necessarily common... it's not uncommon either! Just one of those things. Hopefully this is good news for you! X

Hi,

I am going for my 3rd LLETZ next week, I had a 2nd one in January this year, the result was that there was no abnormality in my smear test or in the LLETZ biopsy. As I have persisted with the HPV infection and there was no evidence of the transformation zone within the LLTTZ sample there is a small risk there could be CIN higher up within my canal.

I believe that I cannot keep having LLETZ treatments and if they can’t get to my transformation zone this time then they are suggesting a hysterectomy which I am not keen on if they still find no abnormalities this time around, I have had my children so I think that they think this is an easy solution, I have been told that if they could get to my transformation zone and all was ok they could sign me off. I am very confused as what to say to them next week about my options and choices.

They have said to me that there is no national guidance for women who persist with HPV!

Hi Susie,
So like you my transformation zone is up inside my cervix, I had a Endocervical Curettage procedure so samples could be taken and analysed. This showed CIN3 up inside my cervix and I have just had a Cone Biopsy, again a procedure that takes the cells from the transformation zone inside the cervix. It might be worth asking the doctors about these procedure options. I hope this helps, these were the options given to me in Switzerland.

2 Likes

Hi Jodz,

Thank you so much for your reply I am very grateful. You have indeed given me a lot of and choices

1 Like

Hi Jodz, sorry my last reply went off before I had a chance to finish! You have certainly given me a lot of options and choices to think about, I really hope that I can get the nurse doing my LLETZ treatment to consider these before suggesting a hysterectomy.

I appreciate your support.

Best wishes,

Susie