Confused by results!

Hi ladies, I have had HPV and borderline cell changes diagnosed through previous smear tests and had regular smear tests, the cells changed back to normal. I had my smear test back in May which showed borderline changes and HPV. I was referred for a Colopscopy. I was due to have a Polyp removed so I went ahead and had that and decided to wait and have the smear once I had recovered from that surgery.

I went for the colopscopy, she carried out a punch biopsy and another smear. I received the letter confirming that I had high Risk HPV along with a moderate to high risk Dyskaryosis and I am now booked in for a cone biopsy. There was no mention of CIN or CGIN in my letter, I just want to make sure i'm not having the cone biopsy unncessarily really, as i've read this can cause further complications. I'm just a bit confused by it all. I should have asked more questions when I saw my consultant but i wasn't taking it all in and just wanted to get out of there!

Appreciate your help! xxx

Hi there, mild, moderate and severe dyskaryosis from your smear is equivalent to CIN 1, 2 and 3 in a biopsy. So as you have moderate to high dyskaryosis, this equates to CIN2-3 meanin a LLETZ or in your case a cone biopsy is needed to remove all abnormal cells. The results from your smear may differ to that of your biopsy results as the brush may have only taken cells from a lower effected area of abnormality, yet on colposcopy when they spray your cervix they can see the abnormalities show up as white so they will have taken a biosy from the most affected area which came back as higher. Your LLETZ/Cone will confirm what level of CIN there is.

Hope this helps

Thanks so much for your reply :) I was sure that my consultant said that there was no CIN when she gave me the results, I must have misheard her.. but from what you have said this makes perfect sense.

Good luck with your test results x

Hello there,

It can be so confusing! I went for a colposcopy and was told I had a fibroid polyp, but that the solution they used showed no abmormal cells. I was given an appointment to see the surgeon that would remove it. He then told me I had cervical cancer, with no prior warnings or abnormal cells whatsoever.

I guess it's difficult to tell, but things seem to get muddled sometimes or not said!

Hope everything goes okay.

Hani 

Hi Hani, sorry to hear your results. I wish you all the best for your treatment and positive results!

Hugs xx

Hi ladies, so i'm still just as confused, I received copies of the smear test and the Biopsy that was taken during the Colopscopy:

Smear - High grade Dyskaryosis, plus low grade and also groups of darker cells which can't rule out high grade

Punch biopsy - shows no demonstrable CIN or glandular atypia

Both were done on the same day by the same consultant, but could this mean she didn't biopsy the correct bit? is that a silly question.. I just can't see how they can both be so different and do I really need to have the cone biopsy, seems a bit extreme really considering i'm getting two different results and no CIN diagnosed...

Any thoughts? xx 

Hiya

Not sure if this helps - but just wanted to let you know that in my case my smear showed moderate dykaryosis yet by eye during colposcopy the doctor said it looks no worse than CIN 1 at most. He treated me with lletz because he is concerned that the smear shows moderate dyskaryosis, but he did say that often the biopsy and smear show different results because the samples are taken from different areas. He also said that when the smear shows moderate dyskaryosis or higher then he always recommends lletz as it's a safer course of action than waiting 6 months for a check-up. I would imagine that's what's happened in your case - they've used the smear results to determine the course of action. I hope this helps somewhat and you're feeling okay. I would say definitely ask the questions you want before the treatment, even if you call and ask to speak to the GP maybe they can speak to you beforehand. Best of luck xXx

Aug 2013 - turned 25, clear smear result
Jan 2015 - smear taken as part of routine 'full body' health check-up - results show HPV 16 high risk, and CIN 1 confirmed
Jan 2015 - colposcopy, CIN 2 confirmed, biopsy taken - results inconclusive, return in 6 months for another colposcopy
July 2015 - 6 mth repeat colposcopy - abnormal cells seen, biopsy taken, and smear
July 2015 - smear results show HPV 16 moderate changes, biopsy result inconclusive (again) - lletz carried out. 
Awaiting results, due in 2 weeks

Thanks Sophie, your answer has helped loads.. xxx