Colposocopy today...any support or words of wisdom hugely appreciated

Hi all,

Today is the day of my colposcopy and I’m absolutely terrified.

I read the leaflet the hospital sends out and it’s made me even more scared. I hadn’t actually considered the post procedure issues like infections etc.

Literally cannot cope with what’s ahead of me today.

If anyone has any words of wisdom or can share good experiences, or even silly things like how to get over the embarrassment of having someone poking around down there for half an hour with a microscope cringe!, then it will be hugely appreciated

Xxx

1 Like

Hi Roses, believe me when I say we all had the exact same fears as you are currently having! But I promise you, you can and will get through this. It is absolutely no worse than a smear test. I had a colposcopy and LLETZ at the one appointment, and hand on heart I didn’t feel any pain - or even discomfort. The doctor/nurses are so, so good at this and will do everything to make you feel safe and comfortable. And it is over very quickly, you will be out of there in no time. I didn’t get any infections or pains. Drove home afterwards and treated myself to a lovey lunch. Make sure you plan something just for you afterwards and focus on this. Hundreds of women are going through this common procedure every single day! I would have no fear whatsoever if I had to have a colposcopy again - I promise you! Good luck and let us know how you get on x

1 Like

Hi Andi

Thanks so much for your comment. That’s very reassuring to hear. Did your treatment resolve everything? I know I’m getting ahead of myself but im dreading the treatment and possible multiple treatments even more.

Xxx

1 Like

It sure did Roses, I had CGIN but all cells were successfully removed at my first LLETZ. This is the case for 90% of patients who require treatment so try to bear that in mind if you do need a procedure. My next step will be a ‘test of cure’ 6 months after treatment. x

1 Like

Oh bless you.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that you get the all clear at your 6 month check x

1 Like

Roses, good luck today, echoing what’s been said above. It is not at all painful, you’ll probably have a good giggle with staff and it’s really quick. Go girl!

1 Like

Hey Andi

All went well today. I had 2 biopsies taken but the consultant said she’s fairly confident that they’ll come back borderline or CIN1 and that it will get better on it’s own without treatment. 4-6 week wait for the biopsy results which is going to be tough but i definitely felt reassured.
I decided to have gas and air from the off to help keep me calm…it’s good stuff! :joy:

Thanks for your words of support this morning, and good luck with your next smear. Let me know how you get on xx

2 Likes

Hi Roses, I’m so glad that you got through the colposcopy, and right you were to take the gas - take everything on offer I say! That’s such a relief for you that the doctor suspect’s borderline or cin1. I will have my fingers crossed for you over the next few weeks that the results reflect this (which I’m sure they will!). The waiting is indeed tough, I found reading stories on this forum very reassuring. It really settled me and prepared me for my results. Come back and let me know how you get on. I will do the same in January when I have my follow up smear x

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m just hoping she was right. Trying to think positive!

Yes definitely! Take whatever they offer you! This kinda thing is not the time to be a ‘hero’.

I will do. Best of luck for your test of cure and hopefully speak soon

Take care xx

3 Likes