Colposcopy on my period?! Help xxx

Hi ladies, I posted a few weeks ago about getting a letter saying they found CIN1 and HPV on my smear and needed to get a colposcopy.

Finally got a date, February 16. Ok so my period is a bit unpredictable at the moment, mainly due to stress and I'm worried I might be on my period the day of my colposcopy and they have to put it off til a later date.

I am extremely nervous as it is aboyt the whole procedure and I'm terrified they find cancer so I really want to get it over and done with! So basically was wondering if they could do it if I was on my period, any of you been in that situation

Hello Alizee

I have recently been to urgent coloscopy following "high grade/severe dyscariosis" on my smear. I thought the very worst

First thing to say please don't worry about this appointment, I had 4 punch biopsys and a womb biopsy but this was because my smear showed "high grade/severe dyscariosis" i will tell you the truth that this was no big deal not painful and similar to having a smear. I was so worried as i wasn't even given a CIN initially on my smear, I thought i must have been off the scale! turns out after biopsy i am at now graded at CIN2 and need to go back for some quick treatment which will hopefully get rid of the cells. The treatment is the letz procedure and very common.

As you have CIN 1 this is just the first step of cell change so they may look and decide not to do anything at all, they often don't treat CIN 1 and just monitor you more closely (more regular smears)

I think it is extremely unlikely you need to worry about cancer but you do need to go so they can have a look.

I promise i am a massive whimp and worrier and i really didn't find the Coloscopy or the biopsy a big deal. You probably won't get that far hun.

All i can say is the worry is 50 times worse than anything at colsocopy, you will be fab, also despite the tests i had i was out within 30 minutes or so, so its over quick.

I am a little worried i may be on at my appointment, but worse case they will say come back.

xx

The ladies on here have educated me on what CIN is as at first i was terrified. Also big advice stay away from google :) a lovely lady on here Kirsty has been a huge support to me and from this i am now not looking up everything and scaring myself :)

Thanks for your reassuring message : )

I will keep you posted xxx

Hi Alizee

My body is also extremely unpredictable and I was on my period for both my colposcopy appointment and the treatment appointment!  Each time the bleeding wasn't particularly heavy and so they didn't put off my appointment because they could still see what they were doing.

Hope it goes ok for you.

Mel

I am a natural born worrier....!  I too 12 months ago had my first smear and colposcopy and had been graded at CIN 1 and high risk HPV. I had my follow up yesterday and after 12 months I still have HPV but no abnormal cell changes (as long as my smear says so). I know it's scary and all I have done is Google... Stay away! CIN1 is possible to regress (like mine) and you'll be monitetred  You're in the system now, CIN1 are very low grade changes and it can take a very long time for them to get worse if they are going to. 

Be happy. 

Thank you, sprinkling sunshine, your message made my day (it's been a bad, sad day!) 

xxx

Aww...thanks, Jillybean. I'm blushing! ;)

K xx

Hi Alizee!

I hope you're feeling calmer now after all the excellent advice from the people who got here first. They've said it all! :)

It's so worrying to get these letters but CIN 1 is only a little bit abnormal and the smear is there to pick things up and get them sorted or monitored before they turn into anything nasty. The colposcopy is a bit like a smear with the added bonus of being able to see your insides in wide screen glory. (I'm assuming most places have big monitors?)

I hope the bad/sad stuff has drifted away. :)

Kirsty xx