colposcopy in a few hours. terrified

Hi 

This literally has been the hardest week of my life. Today I go for colposcopy after my gp finding a growth on my cervix and I now have awful foul smelling discharge. My husband and family are great and keep telling me to think positive but I really can't think straight. This has been ongoing for over a year now. Back and forward to docs about bleeding etc and only when I go for a routine smear do they notice something. My god how long has this thing been growing. 

I am going out of my mind here. I can't stop crying. Has anyone had a similar experience ? Xx

Dear Sjscot,

Sorry to hear what you are going through. Whilst I didn't have a visible growth on my cervix I can relate to you feeling annoyed about the possibility something more could have been done previously or something was missed in the past. I had my last pap smear 14 months before with similar complications as you and I was told everything was fine. Then I was straight to CIN3. So obviously something was missed. 

I am a little unsure if you meant you had already had the colposcopy? If you have, during the colposcopy they apply a Acetic acid solution and iodine solution to the cervix to make the abnormalities visible and after the biopsies are taken Monsel's solution is applied to control the bleeding. The discharge is normal and for me I guess smelt a little like vinegar. However, if you are feeling it is not along these lines then contact your doctor to ensure you don’t have an infection. I don’t believe an infection could develop so rapidly though.

As for the emotional rollercoaster you are completely normal. I cried so hard when I was first told about all of the ‘possibilities’ that my nose bleed, I’ve never had a blood nose in my life. It is something that only someone that is going through can understand fully. Bless your husband for trying to calm you; I guess he would be scared also and perhaps with a little less understanding of the female anatomy. I ended up sitting down with my husband and watching a few (cartoon) explanations of what was going on with each procedure.

Just please know that the initial shock is the worst and our human nature is to become adapted to the situation we are in so it becomes a lot easier and less confusing when you go through the stages. I am just so happy that finally someone picked up what seems that have been causing your bleeding and you can get set on the road to treatment. The ladies on here have been a life saver for so many, me included, so when ever you need some advice or a proverbial hug you know you will get it here.

Thank you so much for your reply. I fell to pieces in the office as I happened to see my notes at reception which stated URGENT CANCER SUSPECTED

Anyway I biopsies were taken and she assured me I will have results in a few days. She also removed something from my cervix which she didn’t kniw what it was and has queried a failed pregnancy.

I am now to go for an abdominal scan tomo at the maternity unit.

This just gets more complicated by the day :’(

Xxx

Thank you so much for your reply. I fell to pieces in the office as I happened to see my notes at reception which stated URGENT CANCER SUSPECTED

Anyway I biopsies were taken and she assured me I will have results in a few days. She also removed something from my cervix which she didn’t kniw what it was and has queried a failed pregnancy.

I am now to go for an abdominal scan tomo at the maternity unit.

This just gets more complicated by the day :’(

Xxx

Hi Sjscot,

Just wanted to check in and see how the Colposcopy went and the abdominal scan!  So sorry you're going through two things at once. And horrible for you to see that written on your report! Sometimes I feel health care professionals are a little blazay when it comes to small things like that. My fingers are crossed for good results from your biopsy.