Colposcopy coming up!

Good morning, everyone!

This is my first post but I’ve done tons of reading over the last few days!

My background story I’ll keep short and sweet- had Pap smears every year since I was 19 (am now 32) only missing one the year of 2019. Pap in December of last year came back HPV detected with ASCUS (borderline changes). So doctor asked me to come back in 6 months time to recheck. Went a few weeks ago and HPV still showing but with moderate/high grade changes. Cried all weekend as I googled too much (bad idea) and had my first appointment yesterday with the doctor who will be doing my colposcopy this Thursday and taking biopsies.

I do feel some better after speaking with him as he made me aware that by keeping on top
of smears and having cells removed when they need to be I am being proactive and will be fine. Still a bit nervous that during the colposcopy it might look severely bad and be told I have Cancer. But trying to stay positive as he told me in his 25 years of work he has only diagnosed one lady with cervical cancer and she hadn’t received medical care in over 10 years.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posts on here. What a wonderful group of ladies to be able to discuss and share information with regarding something that makes you feel sort of alone as it’s not really talked about much.

Any advice on the colposcopy/biopsy appointment is appreciated. I’m just trying to stay calm and positive in the meantime :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Jackie, I had a colposcopy about 16 years ago. It doesn’t hurt. But, like the smear, it’s a little uncomfortable.
My smears had been good ever since, until this last one. I have HPV and mild changes.
I’m not looking forward to the colposcopy, and I shall be taking something to relax me. Like you no doubt, I just want to get it out the way.
Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your response! From what I’ve read it is comparable to the smear but with the added twinge of the biopsies. It’s hard to make out some of terms in posts I’ve read as I’m in the states and I think the terminology might be a little bit different from some other places?

I’m glad your results only show minor changes, that’s a blessing :slight_smile: And 16 years of clear smears, amazing! Best of luck to you as well!

Hi Jackie,

Wishing you all the best for your colposcopy. I had mine yesterday, and like you, I was so nervous and Googling all the time, which didn’t help, but it’s so tempting to check isn’t it? I did find it helpful to research the procedure though to prepare myself just in case I needed treatment, so I don’t think it’s a bad thing to educate yourself a bit :slight_smile:

Whilst I know that I can’t speak on behalf of everyone, I wanted to let you know that it is okay. I had my colposcopy yesterday and I was shaking like a leaf and expecting the worst, but In actual fact, the whole procedure was extremely quick and painless. When they took a biopsy, I couldn’t feel a thing and actually had to ask whether they had done anything! The nurses were so lovely and they made me feel at ease the whole time. I was also on my period which I wasn’t expecting, and I was worried that they wouldn’t be able to go ahead with it, but they made me feel comfortable saying how they have seen this all the time etc.

I don’t have a clear idea on what my results are yet as I need to wait 6 weeks for my biopsy results, but the person carrying out the colposcopy reckons that by looking at my cervix, my diagnosis could actually be a lower grade than what my smear indicated. My smear results said moderate dyskariosis (high grade) but my colposcopy is showing that it looks more likely to be CIN1 or CIN2. I am 25 and tested HPV positive with abnormal cells and this was my first ever screening, so it was all a bit of a shock for me to take in, but I have felt very supported so far, and I find this forum very comforting.

I hope you are okay and try not to worry (I know it’s easier said than done!)

Keep us updated!

Thank you so much, Tara! That is so encouraging to read. I’m glad the process was so easy for you, I’m hoping it will be for me as well. I’ve read multiple times here and a few other places of people actually having less severe results once the colposcopy is carried out- I would love for that to be the case for me too but won’t get my hopes up just in case!

I’m guessing the US is the only place that only uses 3 levels of Pap smears? ASCUS (borderline) LSIL (low grade changes) and then HSIL (moderate OR severe changes). It seems I read of lots of people saying they have moderate changes as a result.

I’m so happy for you that your appointment went so well and I hope your results come back as the colposcopist says they will :slight_smile: And you have no idea how comforting your message was to me! So again, thank you so so much :heart:

1 Like