Colposcopy and Ultrasound

Hi all,

I am 42 yo, and recently started having symptoms of extreme fatigue, bloated constantly, lower back and pelvic pain, cramping everyday, and what was once heavy periods for 7 days suddenly only lasts for 2 very heavy days and completely stops.  Other symptoms that come and go are nausea, dizziness, anxiety, itching and forgetfulness. I've also lost about 10 pounds in the past 6 weeks and wrote it off as being more active. At my age, I thought I was pre-menopausal. I went last week to get a checkup and a papsmear.  My dr. joked and said she didn't see anything wierd growing on my cervix and wants to see me back in 3 weeks for an ultrasound.

They called yesterday and said the results came back abnormal and scheduled a colposcopy  the same day as the ultrasound. I didn't freak out until I saw the lab results that stated I was HPV positive and HGSIL is present. I had minor changes 16 years ago of abnormal cells but no mention of a virus and I failed to keep up with annual testing. I learned cc doesn't usually show symptoms until it's advanced and with the symptoms I've been experiencing and the time in between visits, I fear the worst. I'm trying to remain positive but I'm worried and angry at myself for not following up. I had no idea it could be so serious. From what I understand, it may take a while to get the results from the biopsy. Will the dr. be able to tell from the ultrasound if it could be cancer? 

Hi Mistyd42,

I'm new here myself and honestly don't have much in terms of answers, hopefully someone else will come along and respond too. 

I wanted to say that your emotions are totally normal! The not knowing is the worst part. Also your symptoms don't necessarily mean cc - I have also been referred for an ultrasound with similar symptoms, which will be followed up with coloscopy.

This site is full of women who have fought all stages of cc, I find reading them positive and empowering... Lots of women get and overcome cc. I think another positive is that your health care provider is being proactive. The quicker they work out what's happening, the sooner you'll have a clear plan to manage the trigger for your symptoms. 

Sending you big virtual hugs xxx