CIN2 - Continuous abnormal cells

Hello

I had my first smeae just over a year ago (as soon as I received the letter). Since that first smear, I have received consistent abnormal results with CIN2. I'm due my 3rd colposcopy in 3 weeks and whilst I know this is for my benefit, I feel like I'm not being told what is going on and why I am still getting abnormal results. I've had no treatment as apparently I don't need it until it gets to CIN3. But thus year, I wasn't even asked for another smear - just an immediate referral to the colposcopy clinic in 6 months. I just want to be told why this is happening, or why it's always abnormal.

I've been on the combined pill for 10 years now....could this be a cause?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, everyone I know have never had a colposcopy or when they have, the HPV has gone. Just feel a bit lost on this!

Hi Buckmont, did you know that pill increases your risk of cervical cancer? It's something that is not being widely shared by those in the medical system and it really should be! Apparentlly the risk lowers quite quickly if you come off it. Sweetening the Pill is a good book that talks about some of the risks. 

Cells can go abnormal for all sorts of reasons, even a yeast infection I think. I would try not to worry too much. I had the LLETZ procedure and wished I'd had the chance to wait or explore other options as the side effects have left me much worse off than I was before. 

I get your frustration, I had 18 months of traipsing to the hospital every 6 weeks for various smears, colposcopies, lletz and must have been on the agenda for every mdt meeting they had during that period - it's such a drawn out nightmare when you have no idea what they're doing in the background. 

I got fed up at one point and rang up and demanded an audience with my consultant to find out what they were actually talking about at all these meetings and why they hadn't actually done any treatment. He very kindly agreed to see me, went through everything with in detail and couldn't have been nicer. Really put my mind at rest. 

My advice would be, if you feel like you're in the dark, ring up and ask who you can speak to about your questions. It's your cervix and you've got a right to be informed, and worrying about it won't help your mental health. It's likely they've got their reasons for delaying treatment and you'll prob feel loads better once they've explained what they're thinking. 

If you can hold out til your next appointment then write a list of all your questions beforehand and take it along so you don't forget anything while you're in there. Then refuse to put your pants back on until they've answered everything on your list:) xx

Thank you so much for your reply!  I was aware that it does increase your chances however, when I go for my 6 month reviews, each time I ask them should I be on it what with the abnormal results continuously coming back the same (and the fact I have been taking the same pill for 10 years with no break other than for my menstrual cycle) and each time they say if it works for me, no point in changing.  I started the pill because I had such heavy periods which really affected my confidence and social life and the pill has helped so I am slightly concerned leaving the pill may end up in my periods becoming quite bad again.  However you are right, I don't want to put myself at further risk and I do need to look into other options. 

It's great to feel like I'm not alone and that other people are going through similar situations. 

Thank you for your reply.  I did go to my appointment on Monday with questions but I don't think they were able to say for certain why.  They will not do any procedures as I have not progressed to CIN3 but when asked why I am repeatedly getting the same results they were unable to answer.  They think that the latest colposcopy may come back that I have not had further abnormalities and if not, exclude me for 3 years which I have to say I am worried about.  The abnormal cells are not going and I haven't been overly worried as every 6 months they are being looked into so I know that anything that has worsened will be caught.  Now if they exclude me for 3 years, I'm worried if I still have abnormalities, what's to stop them progressing?  And 3 years of no check ups I have to say I'm cautious.  Although they are the medical professionals so I believe they know what's best for me. 

I will see what the results say in 4 weeks and then go from there. 

Thank you so much for your support.  I feel no-one I know has an idea of these procedures and these worries as none of them have gone through this so it feels nice to be able to talk to someone who can relate.

Thank you

I have a friend who had LLETZ done for CIN2 so they should do it. Push for it babe 

Hi everyone,

im in panic mode..

at 24 I had an abnormal Pap test showing hpv and high grade abnormality. I had a colposcopy and a cone biopsy which was all normal. Because I didn’t know much about all this stuff and grew up with my dad it scared me and I never went back for follow ups and was never told I needed to either.. I’m 36 now and am ttc so had a pap yes that is a Norman and showed CIN2.. I’m terrified that because I’ve waited ten years I could have let something sinister grow.. any advice would be good