CIN 2 - Options and pregnancy

Hi ladies,


I have recently been diagnosed with CIN 2 cells on my cervix, I am 24 years old and have been having ongoing problems since around the age of 18.

My doctor/surgeon has told me that the cells are currently at CIN2 and she feels that because I am 24 that I should wait for 6 months and come back and see where they are at. She also advised me that in 6 months time (or now if I choose) I will need part of the cervix removed to get rid of the cells (she didn't say what procedure but I'm sure she mentioned cone). She did say that this comes with it's risks and my chances of having a miscarriage midway through pregnancy are much more likely, I have also been told by her that if the initial removal is unsuccessful then more if not all of the cervix would need to be removed.

I have been with my fiancee for 8 years, we are not currently in the best position to have a baby but we are both mid twenties and we would cope if necessary. My main issue is I cannot face a future where I may not be able to carry my own child, at least one. I feel that maybe we should try for a baby now (I did conceive when I was 18, but chose to have an abortion as I we weren't even living together or working) and then look to have the cells removed post pregnancy. I have also been advised that giving birth can remove these cells.

I can't make a decision as to whether to get them removed now, leave them for 6 months or have a baby, or just hope I can have one in the future if I have the removal.

Can anyone give me any advice? I would appreciate any.

Thanks x

Hi :) 

No advice really.   Just wanted to say I was in the same boat as you last year.  My gynaecologist (woman who carries out colposcopy ... I think she is a gynaecologist anyway) told me that they are finding more and more evidence these days of cin2 going back to normal like cin1 (I dont know how  true this is) and advised 6 months wait and watch approach.  She also said that  if I was to fall pregnant in this time it would be no big deal and she would just schedule to see me 3 months after giving birth instead.   Well I was 25 and faced the same thoughts and decisions as yourself.  We decided to try for a baby and luckily fell pregnant on our first try.   Our little boy is now 2 months old and I have my colposcopy appointment scheduled for 10th July which is one year on from first appointment.   I'm a little anxious now about it but as gynaecologist didn't seem concerned or worried I'm trying not to think of the worst case scenario.  Best of luck for whichever path you choose x