Just had an call from the consultant who did my colposcopy, and will be doing the LLETZ procedure later this month.
First, I'd like to say that I really like this doctor, she's a proper no-nonsense lady (reminds me of my Yorkshire relatives), with a real interest in her subject (probably a bit of a nerd about it) which I find very comforting.
I think that the main reason she called was because she saw that I had delayed my appointment, and thought that might be because I was very anxious about it. I explained that it was simply because I was going on holiday a week or so after the initially proposed date, and was worried about potential after effects ruining (or in worst case cancelling) my trip.
She then said that if I preferred, she could change the booking to a LLETZ under GA. Stressed that if I was very anxious about it, and would find the whole experience too upsetting, it was perfectly fine to do it that way and that they were not in the business of torturing people!! So that got me to wondering why she's asking this, is it a huge area to remove or something? I think we were talking at slightly crossed purposes by then though - she thinking that the delay may still be related to unconfessed anxieties and me getting paranoid thinking that she maybe had another reason to ask me about GA (is the area so huge it'll be hideous to do it under local??) ....
Anyway, I took a deep breath, and asked her straight
1) is it a very large area then (most people who have had GA recommended seem to be due to large or hard to reach area)
2) did you think I was too nervous at the colposcopy and that makes you concerned as to how I will cope with LLETZ whilst awake?
she said it's not huge, but not small either, perfectly possibly for her to do it under local. Also said I did really well at the colposcopy so she thinks I would be fine, but that it's really up to me.
I think I am actually more scared by the idea of a GA, never had one either so I have no idea how it would affect me, so I decided to stick with the plan for LLETZ under local on the 24th. And the kindest thing of all, she said "look, it's fine to see how you feel on the 24th, if it has been worrying you or if you feel OK about it .... you have an appointment, that's all and that doesn't mean we have to do anything. We can even try on the day and if at any point you're getting really uncomfortable, we can stop and revert to doing it under GA."
Anyone worrying about it, it might make it easier to know that these people are professionals, they know it's scary and so far they have been nothing but kind to me. I do think that I have been lucky with the consultant I've been assigned too :-)
Also interesting to know that the option appears to be there to opt for GA if that is your preference. It seems that you only have to ask.
For anyone who hasn't read my previous posts, the other reason for her concern is that I came into this whole saga with a severe medical phobia, which I did warn the doctor about at the first visit, just in case I went to pieces in her chair. I went for a session of cognitive hypnotherapy before the colposcopy and it was nothing short of amazing - I am now able to attend appointments and remain quite calm, when even walking into a hospital before would have triggered a panic attack. So possibly the other reason for her concern was knowing the history of that, even though I was fine for the colpo/biopsies
I'd be interested to know if anyone else opted for GA and why, and whether there's anyone out there who has had both and what their view on it is
Take care all