Chemo diet

Morning everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could share what foods you ate during chemo/rads that actually tasted like something other than metal! Haha.

Ive been living on mash potatoes, gravy and ready salted crisps at the minute and I honestly dont think i can do another 3 weeks of it :joy:

Any help appreciated as always!

Thanks
Amy xx

Hi Amyr17

I remember well getting down to a very small range of foods I felt I could eat during the chemo-radio - my treatment was some time ago in 2017.

It was mash potato for me as well - plus some kind of tomato sauce - there was a lovely man working in the hospital canteen who made up a bespoke meal (simple as it was) for me.

Also grilled tomatoes on thin toast with a bit of seasoning. A small amount of hard cheese helped with the feelings of nausea. Sometimes I could manage some well grilled bacon (sorry if you’re veggie).

A chemo-radio mate, also being treated for cc, found cream crackers palatable.

My oncologist advised me to take a multi-vitamin throughout the treatment.

I was very slim to begin with and half way through treatment became underweight so the dietitian prescribed me with high calorie nutritional drinks which were relatively easy to get down by virtue of being liquid and small volume. Similar products are available from most chemists. It was vanilla flavour for me.

x

Hi Jazza,

Thank you for replying.

Yes my mum has said about those shakes, so I might give those a try and the bacon!

Thank you so much :blush: xxx

For me I would describe it as a ‘sour and bitter’ taste which became overwhelming after a course of antibiotics as well. For me it was jacket potato, with salt and butter, and a little grated hard cheese. It became very difficult to eat anything as I was so nauseous, even with the pills. It’s dire, isn’t it! My husband and son used to buy in anything I thought I fancied, but most of the time they tasted gross and there was a lot of wastage. I threw a lot of probiotics down me when I finished the treatment and GRADUALLY it got back to normal. I have to say that a year out from treatment I am still put off eating some things simply because I have a memory of that foul taste…

You’ve not long to go - you’ll get there! Good if you can tolerate some protein shakes; I found I could barely drink anything either, and the first thing I got back to was flattened Pepsi Max Cherry - ice cold. It is still the only thing I really want to drink - I used to love a cup of tea, but I associate it so strongly with throwing up that it still puts me off! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I don’t think you’ll be that bad - I had sepsis 10 days after my treatment and the drug cocktail finished me off and I was retching drinking water…

Hi Jacks,

To be honest Ive been quite lucky on the nausea front up to now. I havent been too bad with that its just this awful taste. Its so strange, you cant really describe it can you. That and really bad heartburn i seem to get.

I really wish i could drink something fizzy but it literally burns my mouth :joy::joy: ive been sticking to water and banana milkshake.

Like you say not too long left though, i start week 3 on Monday so hopefully it will go by quickly.

Sorry to hear you had such a rough time during treatment, sepsis on top of all this must have been awful! Xxx

1 Like

Hello @Amyr17,

I could only eat a small range of foods as well - mashed potatoes and peas sometimes, banana bread, popsicles and smoothies got me through. For some reason sour green apple Gatorade tasted pretty good throughout - otherwise ice water.

Hope this helps!

Hi Dar8,

Thank you so much for replying.

I found that the sour moam sweets have been a life saver this weekend. Also managed a roast dinner! Woohoo haha xx

2 Likes

That’s great! :relaxed:

I could eat fruit, jacket potatoes and toast. Lovely!! Keep it up, not long to go and it will go quickly, soon at the halfway mark. xxx

Hi snowbird,

Thank you for replying, ive just done my 13th radiotherapy so have hit the half way mark now.

Hopefully the rest will go fast so i can eat some tasty food again soon hahah xxx